Hooking up MSD distributor with Thunderbolt

Notices

Hooking up MSD distributor with Thunderbolt

Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up MSD distributor with Thunderbolt

Hi all!
I got into a minor problem at the garage today...
I got a new MSD flat-top distributor for the 509, since the original one didn't fit after we put a Superchiller on top of the manifold, but the problem is - how do i connect the MSD distributor with the Thunderbolt ignition amp?
There are two wires coming out of the distributor - black/orange and black/violet. Wires coming from the harness are: white/red and white/green. So, which one goes to which? Will I blow something out if just try and see which combination might work (since there are only two comb.)? Anothe thing is that the original Thunderbolt distributor had a black wire coming out of it and going to a black wire on the harness. The MSD dist. only has two wires, so what do I do with the one that is left over?
Anyone? I really would appreciate your help guys. The engine is scheduled for the dyno in less than two days...

Last edited by Dr. Phil; 07-10-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From the ign amp .. purple to coil + .... Grey to coil -

white/red and white/green went to the Distributor ...The distributor is marked ... the black from the amp and the Distributor go to gnd ....

now the bad news ... I think you need a MSD ignition control for that distributor ...

Most MSD Distributors must be used with an MSD Blaster Ignition, 6, 7, 8 or 10 Series Ignition Control. Only the Pro-Billet Ready-to-Run, Pro-Billet E-Curve and Pro-Billet HEI Chevrolet models can be used without an MSD Ignition.
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/2005/frm27310_84891.pdf

..................m
Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know which distributor you have, but if it is not a ready to run, than it will need an ignition box to work. Eddie
Old 07-11-2007, 02:45 AM
Registered

Thanks guys... Yeah, I was a bit suspicious of that I might need to get an MSD box as well....
All that trouble just for putting in a superchiller.... well, some people would go into a lot of trouble just for a couple of extra ponnies
Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

I would look into the Crane Fireball ignition box. I just replaced a dead MSD marine box with one and it works great with the MSD distributor. It has electronic advance like the Thunderbolt and rev limiter.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Olds Eddie
I would look into the Crane Fireball ignition box. I just replaced a dead MSD marine box with one and it works great with the MSD distributor. It has electronic advance like the Thunderbolt and rev limiter.
A crane box would be sweet... true... but the easiest way around the problem today was to get a MSD6 box which was avaliable locally. The ignition is working fine now Hope it stays that way at least for a while...
Old 07-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you wire it Tomas?

black on coil neg. orange on coil pos.
Red to engine harness violet.
White (point ignition, not in use?)
So green and violet "crank trigger" wires used connected to the TB4 advance module I presume?