Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil Line/fitting ?? >

Oil Line/fitting ??

Notices

Oil Line/fitting ??

Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used socketless hose fittings since the 70's I have not had a problem yet.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Registered

kidnova, i to am having an issue with high oil temp . but only on one moter.i cant run hard too long , once the oil hits 165 i slow it down . the owner of the marina showed me that the hose had soft spots by sqweezing it . the hoses were only 2 seasons old. i had i baught them new when i installed the 572 moters. i had the moters rebuilt by lab racing engines,(new EVERYTHING ) and you alreasy know what happened when the marina installed them. i used 3/4 because of the big cubes, well my point is the hoses will get soft. and it wont take long. especialy with HOT temps.i dont care what they say about the hoses being able to handle high temp.maybe what happened to me was just a freak thing but your better off being safe and using the hoses with the an screw on fittings. i woulds hate to see what happened to me, happen to anyone else.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 PM
TC
Registered

Kidnova, I used all 12AN lines and 3/4 fittings on my 496 build up last season. I went with a new block adapter, oil filter mount and thermostatically controlled cooler all from Hardin Marine. Although the 12AN and 3/4 may be overkill, the piece of mind was worth it to me. My cousin just completed a similar build. He used all 10AN and 1/2 fittings....It is working great also.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Registered

i don't want to start a war here but "peace of mind" has nothing to do with what is correct in an engineering and technical sense... quite the contrary... peace of mind comes from knowing you are doing things correctly according to a properly calculated and executed engineered approach.

with regard to oil lines, that approach dictates using lines correctly sized relative to the pump output and oil system flow rate demands. on a wet sump big block using a conventional or even "hi flow" oil pump and calculating the pumped volume vs the loss thru the clearances you would find that the stock mercruiser lines are just fine.... which is why they use them...

for the rest of us, we get afraid... GOD they LOOK so small... and not nearly MANLY enough.... and -8 is still a little whimpy and -10 starts to look better BUT -12 is SO much bigger and meaner and more expensive looking... so it MUST be better...

no... all oversized big lines do for you is weigh more, cost more, take up room and make the plumbing difficult and add a smidgen more total volume to the system.

unless the lines were the most restrictive part of the system to start with.... and they were not, you have gained absolutely nothing. and i can not imagine anyway on earth that if ALL the other elements remained the same, how an oversized line would change the oil temp at all.

in engineering it is very simple. the right answer is the right answer. everything else is wrong to some degree
Old 06-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
i don't want to start a war here but "peace of mind" has nothing to do with what is correct in an engineering and technical sense... quite the contrary... peace of mind comes from knowing you are doing things correctly according to a properly calculated and executed engineered approach.

with regard to oil lines, that approach dictates using lines correctly sized relative to the pump output and oil system flow rate demands. on a wet sump big block using a conventional or even "hi flow" oil pump and calculating the pumped volume vs the loss thru the clearances you would find that the stock mercruiser lines are just fine.... which is why they use them...

for the rest of us, we get afraid... GOD they LOOK so small... and not nearly MANLY enough.... and -8 is still a little whimpy and -10 starts to look better BUT -12 is SO much bigger and meaner and more expensive looking... so it MUST be better...

no... all oversized big lines do for you is weigh more, cost more, take up room and make the plumbing difficult and add a smidgen more total volume to the system.

unless the lines were the most restrictive part of the system to start with.... and they were not, you have gained absolutely nothing. and i can not imagine anyway on earth that if ALL the other elements remained the same, how an oversized line would change the oil temp at all.

in engineering it is very simple. the right answer is the right answer. everything else is wrong to some degree
stevesxm - I understand with what you are saying. And I do not disagree with you. My machinist/assembler has also told me -12 is not necessary. My brother (an engineer, btw) says -10 should be OK. Thing is, after 4 seasons of jerking around with oil temp issues, and after now sinking allot of $$ (for me) into the new engine, I'm looking for a reasonably fool proof oil cooling and filtration system.

I've been told (by a known/respected OSO'r), considering the new internals used, the engine can spin in the +7K RPM range and not get hurt. Yet it is cammed for +,- 5700. To date most every part I've used in the engine is "overkill", to some. I know, blah blah blah. But my point is, I want some "overkill" oil cooling/filtration. Some will refer to that as peace of mind. I refer to it as insurance.

Thanks again for your response. I always enjoy reading what you have to say. I'm not a gear head or builder so I don't always know if you're 100% on the mark. But you always seem to use your head.

off topic, kind of ..... I was in the building trades for about 25 years. I'd often talk shop with my engineer brother. During one of our conversations several years ago, he mentioned something that one of his profs would say, or once said. Which was... "when in doubt build it stout". I guess that really stuck with me

Thanks again !
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Registered

i like your brother already. and his professor was right.