Which Supercharger is better? >

Which Supercharger is better?

Notices

Which Supercharger is better?

Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bichaum
Hi everyone, I have a 30' campion chase with a 500hp,cmi headers(525 php with headers and computer re-programmed). Throttle body fuel injected. It has a volvo dpx outdrive on it and presently runs 71mph on gps with 3/4 of fuel in it. I would like to put a supercharger on it however would like to know which one would be the best and also how much more mph can I gain?

Thanks in Advance
We can make a kit that fits for the most part, but its not a direct bolt-on. Because that has closed cooling, we have to kick the belt system out in front, just past it. Then I'm not sure about that computer box, may not clear the sc. Other than that, most should work pretty easy. Probably going to need 3" of forward clearance. I'm assuming this has v-belts for the accessories. Also should have a MEFI 3 ecm which we have cals for. Fuel pump will work also, although it may need re-plumbed for a bigger fuel line, minimum -8an, preferably -10an.

Thanks
Dustin
Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Throwing this against the wall.....

Might be easier/cheaper in short term and long term to install a carb'd Whipple system on it.

Custom this and that on an EFI system not being programmed in person can become...well....troublesome.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SB

Might be easier/cheaper in short term and long term to install a carb'd Whipple system on it.

Custom this and that on an EFI system not being programmed in person can become...well....troublesome.
Dustin you are right about the v-belts and computer, so your saying the 3 inches of clearance is in the front of the closed cooling system or back(closer to the motor).
Old 07-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bichaum.

B4 you start throwing $ at the engine you may want to talk with someone about the counter rotating props on the lower unit. Because you will probably end up putting 2 larger pitch props at some point you may run into a hydro dynamic issue. I may be wrong, but i seem to remember when Merc had the Blackhawk drive they found out there was a maximum speed on the unit. Do some research.

Wannabe
Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB

Whats nice about the efi is we have knock sensors. I didn't want to loose that when I finaly decided what I was doing.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wannabe
Bichaum.

B4 you start throwing $ at the engine you may want to talk with someone about the counter rotating props on the lower unit. Because you will probably end up putting 2 larger pitch props at some point you may run into a hydro dynamic issue. I may be wrong, but i seem to remember when Merc had the Blackhawk drive they found out there was a maximum speed on the unit. Do some research.

Wannabe
This is true from my understanding. My model(guy who built a similiar pachanga set up to mine) Tried a merc dual prop. Gets a good holeshot and better bite in the midrange but I believe he said(not sure what speed) it would simply start cavitating.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bichaum
Dustin you are right about the v-belts and computer, so your saying the 3 inches of clearance is in the front of the closed cooling system or back(closer to the motor).
I think 3" in front of the exsisting crank pulley. The belt is 1.5" wide, and you need .25" clearance in front of the heat exchanger.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
I think 3" in front of the exsisting crank pulley. The belt is 1.5" wide, and you need .25" clearance in front of the heat exchanger.

Thanks,
Dustin
Thanks for all the replies...................so I take it whipple would be able to set me up with something, now the only other question is the drive, what hp is it capable of handling. Now once I know this it'll be get r done.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 AM
Registered

Did you talk to HTG motosports bichaum??
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

Default Whipple Charged Volvo

So what did you finally do with your Volvo HP525? Whipple? Did you have to relocate your heat exchanger? I would like to know because I want to Whipple charge my Volvo HP500. Thanks

Quick Reply: Which Supercharger is better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.