Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Alignment >

Engine Alignment

Notices

Engine Alignment

Old 09-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Just set it down firm and adjust. It is easier with out full weight. When you get it right double check with full weight before cutting chain loose. Good idea to double check first motor after second motor is set.
Jim
Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

What happened to the silent thunder box?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mopower
What happened to the silent thunder box?
settle down ... its going back on ...
Old 09-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by offthefront
settle down ... its going back on ...
Looked like the bolt holes were filled. Threw me a curve

I was getting ready to make a weekend run to Jax

Last edited by mopower; 09-03-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
Looked like the bolt holes were filled. Threw me a curve

I was getting ready to make a weekend run to Jax

yea we filled em all with "west System" and are going to redrill them ....
Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Registered

Don't mean to hijack thread but I have a question about the motor mount. I have a motor that I noticed is sitting lower on one side. I looked at the mount and the nut on the top of the stud is at the top like the other side but the nut on the underside has lowered all the way to the bottom making the engine drop down. There is some sort of little plates sticking out like a lock washer. Do you just try to tighten the nut up to bring the motor back up or do you have to pull engine up with hoist to relieve pressure?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered

Chances are good that as the motor moved down it ate the threads on the stud on the port side. The little plate thing is a tab washer used to lock the lower nut. The right thing to do is locate an alignment tool, remove the drive raise the motor back into alignment. If you decide to raise and guess the height you can try without a hoist, It is just a matter of how damaged the threads have become. You may get lucky. If you do lock the tabs so the nut cant move again.
If you run with the engine out of alignment you risk blowing your coupling, if that happens you will be pulling your engine.Good luck Jim
Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Chances are good that as the motor moved down it ate the threads on the stud on the port side. The little plate thing is a tab washer used to lock the lower nut. The right thing to do is locate an alignment tool, remove the drive raise the motor back into alignment. If you decide to raise and guess the height you can try without a hoist, It is just a matter of how damaged the threads have become. You may get lucky. If you do lock the tabs so the nut cant move again.
If you run with the engine out of alignment you risk blowing your coupling, if that happens you will be pulling your engine.Good luck Jim
If the threads are wasted on the stud than do you have to replace the whole mount? Would that mean you have to pull the motor? The top nut is still in place so I would assume than if the threads were okay than I would just have to keep turning lower till engine went up to the top nut.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

If the threads are damaged yes. You may have to lift the motor a little but not out. Maybe its possible to jack the side up enough to unload the mount. Access and working room will dictate how to go about it. If you don't think the top nut moved and you can raise the motor chalk it up to good luck.
Jim
Old 09-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Registered

I guess not being properly "locked" with the lock nut and tab would allow the nut to work its way down ?

Quick Reply: Engine Alignment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.