Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Alignment >

Engine Alignment

Notices

Engine Alignment

Old 09-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, It seems it is more common a problem on the port side. The torque of the motor seems to lift the weight off the mount and makes it easier for the nut to move. The tab locks the lower nut and the lock washer and/or polyloc nut locks the top. You need both locked.
Jim
Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Registered

how do you un-lock the lower nut? Do you bend the tabs? It looks like it has one tab going up the the mount and one going down over the nut.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
how do you un-lock the lower nut? Do you bend the tabs? It looks like it has one tab going up the the mount and one going down over the nut.
anyone?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the one on the Mount is fixed ...just bend the one on the nut
Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Registered

neither are fixed. One is bent up to the mount and one is bent down over the lower nut.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Yes, It seems it is more common a problem on the port side. The torque of the motor seems to lift the weight off the mount and makes it easier for the nut to move. The tab locks the lower nut and the lock washer and/or polyloc nut locks the top. You need both locked.
Jim
By the way it is the starboard side that is dropped.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

Any things possible, I've seen many that fell until the alt. hit the stringers. Anyway the tabs lock to the mount on engine and around the nut, holding the nut to the mount from engine. Its a tab washer and just bend in place. If you replace the mount get a new tab washer. One of the tabs is intended to go up and hold the engine side of mount and the remaining tabs offer different positions to lock to nut. It is not easy to see when its in place but the up tab is different from the others.
Jim
Old 09-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

During Alignment ...The Brackets bolted to the stringers are sloted to allow movement of the front mounts ..Is that not a major factor in alignment ? I am thinking with rear bolts in place and torqued that the front mounts will have a natural position between the stringers ? So all the adjustment is up or down ?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mean to hijack thread but I have a question about the motor mount. I have a motor that I noticed is sitting lower on one side. I looked at the mount and the nut on the top of the stud is at the top like the other side but the nut on the underside has lowered all the way to the bottom making the engine drop down. There is some sort of little plates sticking out like a lock washer. Do you just try to tighten the nut up to bring the motor back up or do you have to pull engine up with hoist to relieve pressure?
I had one drop about 1" after a long road trip on rough roads. The tabs suck if you don't get the down really well. I brought the lower nut up, the threads were OK, and bent the tabs best I could. Later, I took a C-Clamp to bend opposing tabs so the washer didn't slip and not allow the tab's to bend all the way over.

That was about 70 hours and 2 years ago and it's still good to go.

I about flipped as I idled out with the hatch open for the first run after getting there and saw the motor bouncing all over. Needless to say, it went right back to the dock and I rode with someone else.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Registered

Offthefront- you are correct. Tighten back set front height.
Jim

Quick Reply: Engine Alignment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.