Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Alignment >

Engine Alignment

Notices

Engine Alignment

Old 09-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The threads looked good so I tightened the nut up and everything seems to be okay. I will test this weekend. Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as you don't turn the upper lock nut, chances are your alignment will be back on par. 1 of my previous boats would always back the lower nuts down. The locking tabs where new and never showed signs of being bent out allowing the nut to turn. After several tiimes of retightening the lower nut back up, I made a pipe spacer to fit over the threads and against the nut. problem solved.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Port Motor aligned right up ... Starboard Motor will not let the tool into the coupler ...looks like the rear is too low .. the tool hits the top of the splines .. moved the front of the motor down and up to the limit without success ... I guess pull the rear bolts and see what happens ? m
Old 09-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Registered

Off the front, sometimes a coupler that has some time and wear on it will sharpen the splines and prevent the tool from sliding in. The rear is not adjustable. Also use tool to rotate gimble in its race, make sure the bearing isn't directing the tool up.
Jim
Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Off the front, sometimes a coupler that has some time and wear on it will sharpen the splines and prevent the tool from sliding in. The rear is not adjustable. Also use tool to rotate gimble in its race, make sure the bearing isn't directing the tool up.
Jim
The couplers are in good shape .. Square tips on the splines ... I loosened the rear mounts and and can now insert the tool , But tight ..there is more adjustment to lower the front but dodged rain all day ... This is with the rear mounts loose so stll not sure where the problem is .... I am 99% sure the spring and leather washer are in place ...but still need to make sure .....

Last edited by offthefront; 09-08-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered

With the front mounts down and rear mounts torqued the tool will not slide in ..
Loosen the left rear mount 3 turns and it slides right in ...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

offthefront, sorry I just got back to this thread. I was talking about the rubber mounts installed in the transom plate. The spring washer sits on top of them. The new mounts do not use the spring. This is only if the mounts were replaced.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

Off the front, sorry to hear its fighting you. Was the transom plate off during repairs? Its possible the mount in bellhousing has failed. You probably would have been aware of a problem before you pulled motors. Did you move the gimble bearing around to make sure it is aligned?
Have you checked rear hardware to ensure everything is in its place?
Jim
Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Registered

I was looking at your pics and wondering, You replaced your stringers. On a wild guess I wonder if your coupling has taken a slight out of center set. If the motors were out of alignment when you pulled them. Try rotating motor and recheck to see if it may change.
Jim
Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
I was looking at your pics and wondering, You replaced your stringers. On a wild guess I wonder if your coupling has taken a slight out of center set. If the motors were out of alignment when you pulled them. Try rotating motor and recheck to see if it may change.
Jim
Jim .. before we tore the stringers out I made a template of plywood ... bolted to the TA and both front mounts .. When replaced the stringers we left one side of each stringer and replaced the core with HD foam and then glassed in the other side .... we left the holes in the original sides and redrilled thru those holes ... I'm sure the new stringers are not the same width as the old ones ..But With the plywood templates we got the studs on the mounts pretty close to the orignal setup ..
I will rotate the motor and see what happens .. One possibility is that the spring poped out when we droped the motor in ....I looked in the bilge and could not find it but it also could be lying on the TA somewhere .. I'm thinking the only way to find out if its not there is to lift the motor ... thanks....m

Quick Reply: Engine Alignment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.