Engine Alignment >

Engine Alignment

Notices

Engine Alignment

Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Off the front, sorry to hear its fighting you. Was the transom plate off during repairs? Its possible the mount in bellhousing has failed. You probably would have been aware of a problem before you pulled motors. Did you move the gimble bearing around to make sure it is aligned?
Have you checked rear hardware to ensure everything is in its place?
Jim
The TA's were not disturbed ..
The Mounts in the Bellhousings ... One thing I did notice that on both motors the metal spacer in the grommit was not centered in both Bellhousing's ...one might be .25"-.375" high or low out of the grommit ... They all were different ... I did try to press them back to center but would just pop back where it was ... I was thinking (hoping) they would center up when you torqued them down ..maybe not .....
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bowtie
offthefront, sorry I just got back to this thread. I was talking about the rubber mounts installed in the transom plate. The spring washer sits on top of them. The new mounts do not use the spring. This is only if the mounts were replaced.
BT .. the TA's were not replaced ... I was thinking you were refering to the bushings in the Bellhousings .. thanks for the info ...m

read post #41 ... could be my problem ....
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the metal spacer has slipped inside of the bushing, you should replace them.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Registered

Greetings from Arizona!

After spending some time reading through this thread I made another attempt at trying to get the new 350 Chevy Mercruiser Alpha 1 lined up. I've been helping a friend replace his 200 hour 305 that wasn't winterized (block and port manifold froze a few winters back - 7K foot elevation here) with the new 350 and I'm down to the alignment stage of the swap.

The rear mounts seemed to just keep dropping a bit too low and this thread helped me figure out why. Turns out the port spring washer had fallen out when I pulled the 305 and was submerged in some bilge rainwater that wasn't drained.

When I fished it out and installed it - VOILA!!! - now the rear mounts sit just right and the alignment tool we got fits all the way in, with very little drag installing or removing it.

My question is - what is desired as far as just how smooth the alignment tool should travel? It feels very smooth up until about the last 2 inches, which is when it is in the splines.

Thanks for your help and thanks for this thread - I was about ready to yank the motor out so I could get a better look behind it.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AzCheetah
Greetings from Arizona!

After spending some time reading through this thread I made another attempt at trying to get the new 350 Chevy Mercruiser Alpha 1 lined up. I've been helping a friend replace his 200 hour 305 that wasn't winterized (block and port manifold froze a few winters back - 7K foot elevation here) with the new 350 and I'm down to the alignment stage of the swap.

The rear mounts seemed to just keep dropping a bit too low and this thread helped me figure out why. Turns out the port spring washer had fallen out when I pulled the 305 and was submerged in some bilge rainwater that wasn't drained.

When I fished it out and installed it - VOILA!!! - now the rear mounts sit just right and the alignment tool we got fits all the way in, with very little drag installing or removing it.

My question is - what is desired as far as just how smooth the alignment tool should travel? It feels very smooth up until about the last 2 inches, which is when it is in the splines.

Thanks for your help and thanks for this thread - I was about ready to yank the motor out so I could get a better look behind it.

According to the book you should be able to slide the tool ALL the way in and then pull it back out with two fingers ... sounds like you have some more adjusting to do ... Also make sure its Lubed up good .. it makes a difference
We are thinking the spring might have come out also ... I have not looked at it this week but plan to this weekend ......m
Old 09-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
According to the book you should be able to slide the tool ALL the way in and then pull it back out with two fingers ... sounds like you have some more adjusting to do ... Also make sure its Lubed up good .. it makes a difference
We are thinking the spring might have come out also ... I have not looked at it this week but plan to this weekend ......m
Perfect! Just what I was looking for - I'll keep fine tuning as you suggest..

Many Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered

Pulled the motor up enough to check and the Spring and leather washer were in place .... I shimmed the leather washer and the spring about 3/16 and seems to be fine ..We were able to come up on the front mounts about the same as the other motor ..... Now I'm thinking its the steel inserts in the bellhousing bushing .. The motors would have to come out to replace the bushings ... I think we'll going with the shims for now ....m
Old 09-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Pulled the motor up enough to check and the Spring and leather washer were in place .... I shimmed the leather washer and the spring about 3/16 and seems to be fine ..We were able to come up on the front mounts about the same as the other motor ..... Now I'm thinking its the steel inserts in the bellhousing bushing .. The motors would have to come out to replace the bushings ... I think we'll going with the shims for now ....m
What's good to use for shimming the rear mounts?

I torqued the rear mount bolts to 35 lbs and started adjusting the fronts downward about a quarter turn at a time until they are maybe two threads from bottoming out - can't really get the wrench in there anymore. The alignment tool still goes all the way in but is no where near two fingers smooth. As the front lowered the tool did slide easier but just doesn't feel right.

So, now I am guessing I need to shim up the rear, which will allow more alignment travel on the fronts.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered

Follow up info: Rather than shimming I left the rear bolts torqued and decided to try aligning the gimbal bearing, as mentioned throughout various threads.

I inserted the alignment tool to where it was securely inside the gimbal bearing but not inside the splines.

I then held a short piece of 2x4 against the exposed lower end of the tool and gave it a sharp upward whack with a 3lb sledge. The tool then easily went all the way in - 2 fingers in and out. The front mounts are still lower than they were on the 305 I pulled out of this boat but I am leaving well enough alone and trusting the alignment tool.

Thanks for everyones help!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WHat purpose do the fiber bushings serve? I have new bolts/nuts with brass washers and stainless lockwashers. Where does this fiber washer go? In between engine and gimbal mount? Or up top?

Quick Reply: Engine Alignment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.