Never seen anything like this. >

Never seen anything like this.

Notices

Never seen anything like this.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Grrrrrr
Attached Thumbnails Never seen anything like this.-corrosion-2.jpg   Never seen anything like this.-corrosion-1.jpg  
Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Grrrrrr
Are you sure muriatic acid won't take that off. Use a stronger ratio.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered

Kennyo..

Straight from the bottle. Melts everything in site, but this corrosion cchittt. THe steel wool and rags I try were smoking .
Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an idea, try contacting an electro plating company, maybe there is something they can do to treat the parts individually.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Registered

If it is electrolysis it eroded the bare metal, so there is nothing to clean off, the surface is etched away, the white popcorn crusty stuff is whats left of the metal. The pieces will need to be polished, resurfaced or replaced. You are lucky it didn't start to damage the painted surfaces. It would be a good idea to pull your props and check the carrier around the prop shaft seals. Also make sure the clamps holding your bellows weren't eatin away.
Jim
Old 09-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Registered

It is electrolysis. Both the dealer, Merc. and Hyatt, dock master confirmed it. Hyatt denies that's a dock/electric current around the cok issue. Some parts will need to be replaced. I am changng all the nuts and bolts I can remove. I will remove the drives to see any problems. The props are off, (being scruubbed by my GF and Son. lol). THere are somoe blistering on the drives but not bad yet. I will do some touch up.

THanks for the input, any further suggestoins will be appreciated. For now.. I will avoid all docks, especcially the Sarasota Hyaat. SO much for the Sarasota season finalle poker run. I have to sleep in the boat.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered

Mild muriatic acid and water solution will take it off. Mix it in a garden sprayer and rinse it off.Mine looked the same earlier this year. Have you checked your Mercathode?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

Mercury has a electrode tester that attaches to a VOA meter. # 91-76675T 1 sells for about $117. It allows you to test your mercathode. It will also let you test dock sites if your determined to do so. Your mercathode system will protect your boat from a normal amount of stray current but not an extreme case like with dock or shore power problems. I doubt anyone will fess up and the source will be hard to impossible find or prove. All you can do is be aware of your surroundings.
Jim
Old 09-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is not etched then try on off acid. and if you find the clamps around your bellows carroded away you may want to inspect the input shafts for water penetration.

more than likely you should be fine. and for next time bring a couple of those expendable goldfish you hang over the side to visiting marinas. they do help.

good luck.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

happens to me at the Hyatt every time, also Clearwater, Key West, Marathon, Cabbage Key, etc. Muratic Acid will wash it away. Get a New Bottle at Home Depot. Wear Gloves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.