Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar? >

496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar?

Notices

496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar?

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dustin,

I called Rinda Technologies and the Mercury help line and no one knew about Mercury's new laptop based software that shows the PCM555 knock info.

To make sure I understand correctly does this software just display the raw knock sensor signal and you have to watch for spikes in that signal as indicating a knock or does it display the Merc PCM555 ECU's interpretation of that raw knock sensor signal as no knocking = no spike readout and when the Merc ECU's interpretation of that raw knock sensor signal is knock = spike readout?

Where / how does one obtain this software? Is there a scan tool (non laptop) that includes this feature / capability?

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Yes, Mercury's new laptop based software shows knock sensor signal. This is new, before, the scan tools never showed knock info. It will spike when it senses knock.

I can change spark advance and any other parameter, but the user can't.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
OK. Here is the final results for the need for speed issue. More HP.
What is the best upgrade among these three options.
Any input with previous experience of any of these (or others) would be appreciated.
And.. best exhaust?
:ernaehrung004
Reply from other thread:

The Whipple on my 496 is GREAT! Keep in mind that my bottom end has been built though. I had a Procharged forged 383 in my last boat and it ran great also. But there is no comparison with the Whipple. The torque through the low and mid range is unbelievable. The Procharge is a good bang for the buck, but for the best all around performance and quality you can't beat the Whipple.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Dustin

Can you get me some info on the Whipples? Price. specs. etc?

WildCArd

If I can get a set of 525's and drop them in I would do that, but I have to find a buyer for the 496's, first. I already have 3 boats, I hate to get stuck with motors to.
I think I just get headers/exhust upgrade, superchargers, labbed props, and see what happens, with the HP and speed.

$10,999.99 For stage1, blue finish. 6.5psi, 775hp @ 5800, 800hp @ 6000rpm. 91-octane minimum fuel. Comes with MEFI4B computer system, harness, sensors, senders, intercooler, stainless fittings, xrp fittings, billet fuel filter, etc. You'll need 5/8" fuel line and female fittings. We also are working on a new digital dash, very nice piece, although expensive. Full GPS, plotting, speed, tach, boost, codes, gph, etc.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 10-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dustin,

Thanks for the response.

Now that I know the basic voltage wave form produced by the Merc knock sensor when knock occurs I resurrected an old thread on the subject to pursue the necessary hardware.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Rage
Dustin,

I called Rinda Technologies and the Mercury help line and no one knew about Mercury's new laptop based software that shows the PCM555 knock info.

To make sure I understand correctly does this software just display the raw knock sensor signal and you have to watch for spikes in that signal as indicating a knock or does it display the Merc PCM555 ECU's interpretation of that raw knock sensor signal as no knocking = no spike readout and when the Merc ECU's interpretation of that raw knock sensor signal is knock = spike readout?

Where / how does one obtain this software? Is there a scan tool (non laptop) that includes this feature / capability?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
$10,999.99 For stage1, blue finish. 6.5psi, 775hp @ 5800, 800hp @ 6000rpm. 91-octane minimum fuel. Comes with MEFI4B computer system, harness, sensors, senders, intercooler, stainless fittings, xrp fittings, billet fuel filter, etc. You'll need 5/8" fuel line and female fittings.

Is this the price for the 496 Kit?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKRN U
Is this the price for the 496 Kit?
No, this is the 525hp EFI kit. The 496 kits are $7199.99. We recal the 555 PCM on this one, not the 525hp efi. Therefore, the 525hp efi comes with a new fuel injection system.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like I do the Whipples, Headers, or new 525's and sell the 496's.
Based on $.s will decide.
Any one needs a set of 02, 496's with 170 Hours??

or have a set of 525's 550's ?