Changing oil thru the dipstick >

Changing oil thru the dipstick

Notices

Changing oil thru the dipstick

Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by goin70
I installed a oil pan hose and pump it out with a Jabsco hand pump model # 340600130. I made up a hose with the fitting. It only takes a few minutes and you get all the oil out. I was having a problem oil leak and determined that the pan was overfilled because I left a few quarts in the pan each time. It is a 425HP with baffles. I was so please with the ease and simplicity that I installed another hose in my transmission so I can pump it out. It makes oil changing quick and clean. If I could only figure a way that the oil filter did not leak when loosened, it would be a pleasure changing oil.
take a phillips screw driver and poke a hole on top of the oil filter and wait 5 minutes,all the oil drains out of the filter and into the pan.spin the filter off.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
take a phillips screw driver and poke a hole on top of the oil filter and wait 5 minutes,all the oil drains out of the filter and into the pan.spin the filter off.
I did that this fall, but just on 1 filter for a comparison. Just poked a hole in it, but left it on. I sucked the oil out at the ramp while the motors were still hot. The next day when finishing the job at home, that filter was empty. Not a drop spilled. Cool! So poked a hole in the other filter, after a few minutes, it was still full. Appearantly it takes some time to drain.

I assume the Merc filtes have an anti drain back valve in them, so why do they drain back even with a hole in them?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to have a look at these.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ltertools.html
Attached Images   
Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I did that this fall, but just on 1 filter for a comparison. Just poked a hole in it, but left it on. I sucked the oil out at the ramp while the motors were still hot. The next day when finishing the job at home, that filter was empty. Not a drop spilled. Cool! So poked a hole in the other filter, after a few minutes, it was still full. Appearantly it takes some time to drain.

I assume the Merc filtes have an anti drain back valve in them, so why do they drain back even with a hole in them?
push the screw driver in far enough to go thrue the element.
if you poke a hole just on the oil filter shell it will not drain all the way.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The later model dipsticks drain from below the oil drain plug. I slide a piece 3/8" fuel hose OVER the dipstick tube and I get most of the oil out with no problem. It's much faster than that little plastic hose you shove all the way down the tube.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
The later model dipsticks drain from below the oil drain plug. I slide a piece 3/8" fuel hose OVER the dipstick tube and I get most of the oil out with no problem. It's much faster than that little plastic hose you shove all the way down the tube.
Yep
been doing it that way for years,works great.
Last year I was getting my boat ready for summer,I drained the engine oil thrue the dip stick tube,pulled the outdrive to check alignment,noticed the coupler needed to be changed.
removed the engine and replaced the coupler,while the engine was out I figured it would be a good time to remove the drain plug and get ALL the oil out.
All I got has a couple of drops out.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went out tonight and used my handy dandy AutoZone hand vaccum pump. Shoved a stiff piece of tubing down the dipstick until it hit bottom. Between the 2 motors, I got just a tad shy of filling a 2 liter bottle full of oil. I could hear it sucking the oil off the bottom of the pan when all done.
Looks like the large vaccum type pump can with a small tube will work as an alternative to the drain hose.

BTW, my drain plug is on the bottom of the pan. '99 502's

So the newer motors have the drain plugs on the sides?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the newer motors have the drain plugs on the sides?[/QUOTE]

No,sir. The dipstick tube threads into a brass fitting that replaces the drain plug in the bottom of the pan.