Need new Dipstick...An Oil one >

Need new Dipstick...An Oil one

Notices

Need new Dipstick...An Oil one

Old 04-07-2004, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new Dipstick...An Oil one

When I installed my Stainless Marine Manifolds (SBC) a couple of years ago I had a real ***** of a time getting the oil dipstick to fit between the heads(vortec) and the manifolds. To get it to work I had to squeeze the dipstick in at a coulple of points and grind a very small area out of my valve covers. Well since I have the heads off for some valve work I would like to get a new one...I would prefer one which would mount on the outside of the manifold instead of between it and the head. It would probally need to be pre-formed to do this OR be one that can be custom bent. I also would like (if possible) for it to have the fitting so I can use screw on the oil extractor fitting....It installs in the pan with a bung fitting. Im sure Im not the only one who has had to do this. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bad-Habit
Old 04-07-2004, 10:16 AM
jhnrckr

I havent tried it but there is a company called Lokar and they make Flexible Braided Stainless Steel unit that looks like it will work, but it doesn't look like it has the threaded fitting for your extractor (stick an extractor tube down it) Check out Summit I think they have it.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Danny_Ocean

What he said...

I just installed the Lokar (from Summit) and it is flexible enough to bend under the manifold and still be able to check the oil. Haven't figured a way to secure it yet, but definitely an improvement.

They also make a billet dipstick which is just a dipstick with a handle...no tube. O-rings around the handle seal the oil-pan hole. You have to reach down to the pan to check the oil, but still a lot easier than dealing with the damn dipstick tube.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 04-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Registered

I went with a Midodon one from summit. Same make up as the Lokar. I think I like the Milidon looks a little better.
BH
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Registered

I've got the same Milodon one that Bad-Habit has. It works great with the Stainless Marine manifolds. Milodon makes a longer one for Offshore use but it's been backordered since October.

The Milodon one is similar to the braided dipsticks, but I think the Milodon one is constructed better. I went through two of the Lokar's on my Vette, because the top fitting kept pulling off of the braided hose. Finally switched to the Milodon on the Vette and the boat and they stay together.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Registered

When I changed my manifolds (SBC), I had to change the dipstick tube as well. My tube had a flare nut on the end that screwed into a block that mounted where the drain plug would normally go. I was able to get a piece of stainless brake line tubing with the flared ends pre-made. I cut one side off, and used a tubing bender to fabricate the tube as I needed. I then made a small stainless bracket to mount it to one of the exhaust manifold bolts. I left the tube a little long, so I could trim it to get the oil level to read right with the boat at rest like it would be in the water. The only extra thing I had to do was run a drill bit down the tube just to tickle the inner walls of the tubing so the dipstick would fit properly. It looks and works great. It sounds like a lot of work when I describe it, but it only took me a little over an hour to make it.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have access to merc. factory manual Gm #9, It shows dimensions of both dipsticks and tubes and lengths and markings. I might be able to help if I knew more about your pan and motor including year. Small blocks are tricky in this area...BBB
I got the parts, the tools, the books, the time, the experience, But I'd trade it all for the right woman!!!

Last edited by Big Block Billy; 04-26-2004 at 08:31 PM.