Why would Gil Manifolds crack?

Notices

Why would Gil Manifolds crack?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gill Manifolds

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
I had two manifolds crack/leak in that area. Don't know why. I still have two sets of old manifolds that I will part out for much less than the ebay add. Maybe shipping plus 100 or so. I will ship the best pair. If you are going to take a crap shoot on old Gils at least get them cheap. I bought new ones from Douglas marine. PM me.
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Nigel,

The mail box store was closed today so I get shipping costs tomorrow.
Thunderstruck - please empty your mailbox, you're full!!I can't PM you.......be sure to ask for ground shipping costs....
Old 12-28-2007, 12:47 AM
MM1
Registered

The Newer Style Gil Manifolds Seem To Be Alot Better Than The Old One Swith The Freeze Plugs In Them. And If You Are Really Set On Keeping Your Tail Pipes Hardin Marine Sells A Header That Will Fit In Place Of Your Manifold Keeping The Same Tail Pipe. Matt
Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Registered

Wet Exhaust Coolant Flow?

Originally Posted by MM1
The Newer Style Gil Manifolds Seem To Be Alot Better Than The Old One Swith The Freeze Plugs In Them. And If You Are Really Set On Keeping Your Tail Pipes Hardin Marine Sells A Header That Will Fit In Place Of Your Manifold Keeping The Same Tail Pipe. Matt

When did the design change? Here's what I have, with two more manifold sets on the way from ThunderStruck..I plan to cut the longer tails to accommodate the silent choice diverters. I can't afford to refit with new stainless so I'm piecing together what I need to get up and running in 2008.

I took a look on Hardin Marine's site - nice parts source - and saw orig Merc replacement manifolds but nothing matched the Gil bolt flange, but thanks for the tip, anyway.

If anyone has any coolant line (plumbing) guides, I'd be all eyes and ears - it appears as though the coolant fills the manifolds and then is externally routed to the tails. I guess the closed loop systems would return the coolant from the fittngs at the end of the long tails.
Attached Thumbnails Why would Gil Manifolds crack?-gil-manifolds.gif   Why would Gil Manifolds crack?-gil-tailpipes.jpg   Why would Gil Manifolds crack?-gil-tailpipeslong.jpg  

Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Gil Manifolds

A seawater pump mounted improperly will cause inadequate water flow. Not only do hoses have to be on right , but pump must also be positioned or "Clocked" as you will find in a Mercruiser manual(Ie: Definitely in Service Man #9)
A water restriction also is bad news.
I don't know why people still want to run this junk.
They are an "investment" in futility and definite future, if not immediate problems.
Many times a boat owner , mechanic, parts changer etc., will get away with bad manifolds leaking a little water, gradually eroding valve seats or doing subtle damage that takes time to realize if ever understood that the exhaust was the root cause of problems, before repeating the same mistakes over and over with several motor overhauls.
I had bought a set of them. They never ended up on the boat. They themselves were bought cracked and I sent them out to be fixed. I smartened up. They ended up getting scrapped before they wrecked my $12,000 motor.
If there is any area to save money, it's not wise to try doing so with these exhaust manifolds or old headers.
I just saw a 540 Bulldog motor come back to a prominent local builder that was installed by so called proffessionals with these $#!+ manifolds. The shop would not put them on the motor and advised strongly against it. I couldn't agree more. And even worse is the aggrivation that a 40 + year race engine builder gets due to others stupidity and ignorance and not following good advise.
As for exhaust parts, they may be very new, but can get artificially aged due to high heat and heat cycles and related stresses, corrosion and fatigue.
Flush, Flush, Flush.... I can't understand even when someone like my friend who spent about $10,000 just for exhaust doesn't protect his investment. Run fresh water through WITHOUT the motors running if you get back late and don't want to piss off the neighbors.