Notices

Surface Drives, Why NOT????

Old 12-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Surface drives are tough to dock with. They also don't work well on many hull designs. They've been around for at least 30 years in HP boating and still are a very rare sight. When they are seen, it's usually on a cat. As far as reliability, in a v-drive application you do lose alot of mechanical pieces which can fail and add horsepower robbing drag. If your setup requires a drop box, you're back to chains, gears, etc. and are now back to where you started.
I am sorry, but I do not follow you.

Mercury and the others use gears to reduce, drop and change rotation.

Why should this be looked upon differently with an Arneson?

Arneson does not require a V drive, or anything special. Although we are very flexible in setups that would allow one to use a V drive if desired, but it is ceretainly not a necessity
Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by marylandmark
They can't be any harder to dock than a boat with a blown Bravo on it.
Ouch..
Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, you'll chop your appendages off. Secondly you'll put your eye out! Other than that, I think they are fast.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by ghittner
First, you'll chop your appendages off. Secondly you'll put your eye out! Other than that, I think they are fast.
This reply above is why people are ignorant to reality.

First, show an example of some one who has lost an eye or appendage.

We have a propeller guard for the drives, while that might be something you did not know, it does not excuse your comments.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
This reply above is why people are ignorant to reality.

First, show an example of some one who has lost an eye or appendage.

We have a propeller guard for the drives, while that might be something you did not know, it does not excuse your comments.
Sense of humor??? I almost bought a fishing boat with one of your drives years ago.. I liked it and it was actually the boat it was attached to that stopped me. It was faster than the bravo's I thought.. Ended up with an inboard anyway.

Last edited by ghittner; 12-28-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Rik- I didn't mean that to hurt bro!!

I was more saying that it is harder to dock a twin boat with a broken drive than it is a surface drive boat with boat of them working.

If that still comes out wrong- sorry but was meant as a compliment...
I was not offended at all. Sorry for the confusion. I took it as a slap to the Bravo worshipers.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by ghittner
Sense of humor??? I almost bought a fishing boat with one of your drives years ago.. I liked it and it was actually the boat it was attached to that stopped me. It was faster than the bravo's I thought.. Ended up with an inboard anyway. Oh yeah, I have one of those blown Bravos @ 900 + HP it's no problem to dock. Then again, It's only 25 Ft.
Sorry to bust your balls, but it is not a joking matter when it comes to injuries. That is something to take seriously.

Other than that, it's all good.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
I am sorry, but I do not follow you.

Mercury and the others use gears to reduce, drop and change rotation.

Why should this be looked upon differently with an Arneson?

Arneson does not require a V drive, or anything special. Although we are very flexible in setups that would allow one to use a V drive if desired, but it is ceretainly not a necessity
You have to get the power from the engine's drive axis to the propulsion unit's drive axis. If you add mechanical pieces to accomplish that (chains, gears or whatever) you add mechanical complexity. It takes more power and increases the maintenance and possibility of failures associated with having more parts. I wasn't saying the Arneson wasn't as reliable. I was saying that when these additional issues were factored in, you had the same issues with both systems.

I agree on setup but what choices do you have? If you have the 16" drop boxes, that puts the props together when you angle the drives in to fit them on the transom. Backing up is like trying to push a rope.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want a set of the bravo conversion so bad I'm thinking about taking the kids college money and send them to vo-tech. I just wish everyone would make the change to get cost down. If you are a long time boater and have enough HP to break the Bravo which isn't that much if you ask me, the change would be a great peace of mind. As far as saftey, educate your passengers and show them the meat eaters and I bet they pay attention. Now back to that college money with a pro install and a set of conversions est cost with extras?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
You have to get the power from the engine's drive axis to the propulsion unit's drive axis. If you add mechanical pieces to accomplish that (chains, gears or whatever) you add mechanical complexity. It takes more power and increases the maintenance and possibility of failures associated with having more parts. I wasn't saying the Arneson wasn't as reliable. I was saying that when these additional issues were factored in, you had the same issues with both systems.

I agree on setup but what choices do you have? If you have the 16" drop boxes, that puts the props together when you angle the drives in to fit them on the transom. Backing up is like trying to push a rope.
Chris said push a rope. Hee hee hhe. I tried standing on a rope and lift myself up once, that was really hard too.

Quick Reply: Surface Drives, Why NOT????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.