Surface Drives, Why NOT???? >

Surface Drives, Why NOT????

Notices

Surface Drives, Why NOT????

Old 12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any staggerd engine v is going to more difficult to dock. Each prop is pushing and pulling too close to the centerline of the boat to swing you around very fast. I would be telling the same people to be careful behind my six boat as my asd boat....gawd i wish I had one to bark at people about. My wife managed to mangle her toe plenty bad on a stock B1 prop.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't get this safety stigma with surface drives. The props aren't much shallower and off-plane, they're down pretty deep.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rik
Yes, we have non stepped Cigarette hulls with Arnesons and to no surprise, they work great. Check out the thread on speed wake of the 1999 38' Top Gun with the Arnesons. .
I read the 100+ MPH thread and it doesn't answer any questions at all for me regarding your product.

What I got out of the thread is the boat was fast, had to drag tabs and it also had a wicked chine walk in the video and zero information about how the boat handled at 0-100 MPH what it was like in turns or got on plane. Plus no information on all the "little tweaks" that were done to the boat.

That thread only raises more questions than it gives me answers.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Registered

we are installing a set of asd7 in a 38 formula in seattle if any body wants to go for a ride. just give me a call john at eastsideoffshore 425 822 5300 we flew to Cal and ran them and were sold they work great ! no more blown drives !!! they turn tighter than my #6 and have you ever tried to swim next to them? the drive has no sharp points !! the props are the same.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never understood where the docking thing started... The Arneson boats that I've been in dock just fine, maybe it's the driver? As far as safety goes well, are props duller when you put them on #6's? I personally don't let kids, adults or anything short of a cat jump off the back of my boat. Safety is a huge issue around these boats, they're not jungle-gyms.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by eastsideoffshore
we are installing a set of asd7 in a 38 formula in seattle if any body wants to go for a ride. just give me a call john at eastsideoffshore 425 822 5300 we flew to Cal and ran them and were sold they work great ! no more blown drives !!! they turn tighter than my #6 and have you ever tried to swim next to them? the drive has no sharp points !! the props are the same.
Is Greg working with you now?
Old 12-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

Greg?
Old 12-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Registered

Guess not, he went north from here to work for someone up your way. Don't remember the name of the shop. He's a good mechanic and does some amazing rigging work.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lofty
Never understood where the docking thing started... The Arneson boats that I've been in dock just fine, maybe it's the driver? .
Depends on the boat. My Express cat backed up wonderfully. My hustler 32 might as well have not even had a reverse gear. Reverse was a joke- it had 3 settings- forward, neutral and "other".
Old 12-28-2007, 04:03 PM

I've only owned a couple of surface drive boats and have never put the drives on a boat that wasn't rigged with regular outdrives. I have though owned alot of boats and have done alot of experimenting. When Rik says you need no special hull, I take that to mean you can bolt them to any transom.

In my own experience, I've taken a good running boat and slowed it down and/or made it handle poorly simply by adding something like extension boxes to the existing drives. I've seen boats that handle poorly, porpoised badly and in one case would almost not plane simply from a prop change. Now maybe you can successfully adapt an Arneson to any boat but what would concern me is the knowledge base- how many people have done EXACTLY what I'm looking at doing and done it successfully. If you have the resources ($$$) to do the experimenting and have a real desire to do something like this, then maybe they're a good idea. The biggst downside is prop availability and expense. Not everyone is going to be able to let you try their props to zero in on a setup.

Quick Reply: Surface Drives, Why NOT????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.