Prop pitch .VS. outdrive gearing questions

Notices

Prop pitch .VS. outdrive gearing questions

Old 05-14-2008, 09:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bwiencek
Just reading all this info and it seems that there is a lot of information floating around... I was just going to swap to a higher pitched prop to hit my target RPM once I get the engine broken in...

I was more curious than anything just in case I break the alpha outdrive with the new combo - should I gear it the same or drop the gearing and prop pitch...

Keep the discussion going - it's very interesting... with any luck the new engine combo will be started tomorrow night...
you stated a higher pitch to reach your target rpm, are you over reving it now or do you mean lower your pitch. what prop and gears are you running, what engine?
Larry
Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK ME AND MY BUDDY HAVE 24 BAJA 136DRIVE THE OTHER 150 3000 RPM 40MPH THE 150 RAN 3600 TO DO 40 BOTH HAD 23MIRAGE PROP 136 DRIVE GOOD FOR MY BAJA BUT NOT ALL BOATS ARE SAME WE WERE LUCKYTHE BOAT CAME WITH 136 SO WE TRY ALOT OF PROPS AND COMPARE THEM TURBO/MIRAGE/CLEVER THEY WORK THE BEST ON MY BOAT 3 blade props were the fast at top end 4 blade midrange good top lost speed
Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoozeyurdaddy
you stated a higher pitch to reach your target rpm, are you over reving it now or do you mean lower your pitch. what prop and gears are you running, what engine?
Larry

I was figuring that with the new engine combo I'm going to be producing about 40-50 more HP than before and my target RPM will be around 55-5600 RPM according to engine analyzer pro (wish I had a 'real' dyno to test it on to get target) - engine was built with better parts that have withstood costant 7-7500 RPM runs on a circle track so I'm figuring 6K in a marine engine should be real safe.

Those changes in HP and RPM should need to re-prop to get the targets reached and I was hitting the old target pretty easy with the current prop and had to back out a little if the water was nice.