Questions Questions Questions >

Questions Questions Questions

Notices

Questions Questions Questions

Old 03-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

One sender is for your temp guage and one is for the alarm system. As long as you keep a good eye on your water temp guage, you could go without the alarm sending unit. Although, I think the sender that is still in with the red end is the alarm sending unit. The tan/blue stripe wire is for the alarm, I think.

I think the little hose on the bottom of the riser that connects to manifold is an extra measure to make sure water circulates better. Do your risers have the nipple to connect them??? Is the manifold connection just plugged with a brass plug???

They do make Permatex in BLACK but then I wouldn't have noticed that used it on the thermostat gasket. You need to run a merc thermostat gasket with no sealant. The merc gasket has crush rivets built in that create a ground for the water temp sender. If you don't have them, the sender won't work.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my 468 with out issue for 5 years, after changing out the 7.4 MPI, and did not have an alarm. Last labor day, however, I threw the fan belt to the Sea Water pump. Cruising down the river, having a good time, I never noticed my temp guage, as in 5 years I never had an issue. Didn't take notice of anything until I decided to push the throttle down and got very little response. Turned around and looked only to find smoke coming out of the hatch. It burnt up all of the rubber connections to the exhaust. I pulled the engine and the second ring on every piston was broke. Should have been keeping a better eye on guages, but with the new engine, I am going to make sure there is an alarm on it too.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
One sender is for your temp guage and one is for the alarm system. As long as you keep a good eye on your water temp guage, you could go without the alarm sending unit. Although, I think the sender that is still in with the red end is the alarm sending unit. The tan/blue stripe wire is for the alarm, I think.

I think the little hose on the bottom of the riser that connects to manifold is an extra measure to make sure water circulates better. Do your risers have the nipple to connect them??? Is the manifold connection just plugged with a brass plug???

They do make Permatex in BLACK but then I wouldn't have noticed that used it on the thermostat gasket. You need to run a merc thermostat gasket with no sealant. The merc gasket has crush rivets built in that create a ground for the water temp sender. If you don't have them, the sender won't work.

my risers have a solid brass plug threaded in the back side of the manifold. they do have the port available to use the lower smaller hose but i do not have the fitting. anyways.... i can make a set im sure. but do you know what size hose was used? i would assume that that smaller hose was moist likely installed to keep water moving through both sides of the manifold and to prevent bubbles. and griff you dont like the orange??? thats chevy awesome orange RTV. i just use it on the boat cuz its high temp i guess. i have tubes upon tubes of the black stuff here at work. but i did use a new t-stat gasket from merc. just a little super orange to help it.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Registered

also i will put the temp sender in the intake. so i know it gets a good ground. but the dart intake i got is off of a 500hp. and it had the alarm in the intake crossover. so, i will put the alarm in the t-stat housing. plug the side that wont clear and put the sender in the intake manifold?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Since you the extra holes in the intake, just put the senders in any of them in the Tstat housing or intake and plug the rest.

The small hose on the bottom of the risers to the manifolds only uses a 1/4" or 3/8" hose. You should be able to get brass barb fittings at any hardware store.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Registered

i dont think ill paint the engine.... it looks like awesome crap all different blue and black. kinda like it