Timing Gears >

Timing Gears

Notices

Timing Gears

Old 04-08-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Gears

Anyone here use timing gears instead of timing chains on their big blocks?? Any pro's and con's? Just wondering before I buy a set. You gotta love the sound of the gears whining!!!

Brian
Old 04-08-2002, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

The con is the noise. The pros are a stedier cam and some of the sets make cam timing adjustments very easy. I would get tired of the whine.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:13 PM
imq707s

I've never ran a set of timing gears on a boat motor, but I was going to put a set on my drag car with a 350 sbc. I was told not to do it by everyone that I talked to about it. The gears transmit a ton of harmonics and vibrations into your valve train. A timing chain or belt absorbs most of the harmonics. The gear drives sound cool (if you like that constant blower whine sound) but I've heard to many bad things about them. I would stay away if I were you.

Old 04-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Registered

I've also heard about harmonics transmission with gear setups, but haven't actually seen any damage from it. But a chain setup is very cost-effective and just about bulletproof. I'll stay with the Cloyes Tru-Roller setup.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Registered

from what i have reead and been told the gear drive causes a lot of xtra harmonics, friction, and heat. that is why alot of the drag car guys are going to jessel belt drive setups. harmonics really play a role in engine life and those motors dont run nearly the hours or consistent punishment we do.