Help converting to headers on a SBC >

Help converting to headers on a SBC

Notices

Help converting to headers on a SBC

Old 08-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my existing thermostat housing:

I have a power steering cooler on the starboard side of the engine, which is inline with the water coming from the sterndrive and up into the thermostat housing from the starboard side.

It seems like MOST thermostat housing I am finding have the water intake on the starboard side. This stainless one looks great, apart from the which side has the water inlet, and I'm just wondering if I should

1. Keep looking, but so far nothing else looks like it'll work.

2. Reroute the direction of the water inlet by flipping the fitting on the gimbal housing, and then trying to mount the power steering cooler on the port side, then try to find a hose to use that stainless thermostat housing?

3. Keep the power steering cooler on the starboard side, and run a hose UNDER the engine up to the thermostat housing.

I'm totally lost here. Why is it that every single stock looking thermostat housing has the inlet on the starboard side... but the only aftermarket one for use with headers has an inlet on the port side? Doesn't make much sense.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,825 Likes on 910 Posts

The Stainless one is exactly like all the newer Merc MPI T stats housings.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...SING+%26+HOSES

You can use that and reroute the hose or you can get some Y fittings made to connect the two hoses on each side together. Those are going to be the only options.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Registered

How do you not hit the alternator and stuff though? Seems like it would be in the way. Also, I tried reversing the fitting on the gimbal... no dice. I suppose I could run a huge long hose under the engine and come up on that side, but it's going to look like ****ing ass. Can somebody show me a properly setup marine engine with headers?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Registered

How would you run the hose with the alternator?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by cash68
How would you run the hose with the alternator?
First you need to get a 2 port housing,, then go from their..if you have room under the housing all you will need is a 135* hose to go under it then to your oil cooler and your done..
Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest going to ebasic power dot com and then looking through all their water inlet hoses that are the correct size find one for some other engine application that has a 180 bend (molded in) and a long run and run it to the starboard side. You must be diligent looking through all their hose offerings for all the different engines to find one with the right premade bends in it. Personally, I have NEVER seen a set up like you have stock.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
I would suggest going to ebasic power dot com and then looking through all their water inlet hoses that are the correct size find one for some other engine application that has a 180 bend (molded in) and a long run and run it to the starboard side. You must be diligent looking through all their hose offerings for all the different engines to find one with the right premade bends in it. Personally, I have NEVER seen a set up like you have stock.
I have to agree,,dont forget we are talking a boat from 1978 and going from the ols log style manifolds to stellings..the next issue is going to be the tail pipes going to the tips under the swim platform..
Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
If you type in "thermostat housing" on ebay, and search for something that fits a GM V8, every single one looks a lot like my existing thermostat housing.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
I have to agree,,dont forget we are talking a boat from 1978 and going from the ols log style manifolds to stellings..the next issue is going to be the tail pipes going to the tips under the swim platform..
No, the headers go over transom. What I don't understand is how people did this back in the 70s. Tons of jet boats had headers, and I'm not sure how any of them made it work with the thermostat housings that comes with most engines.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by cash68
No, the headers go over transom. What I don't understand is how people did this back in the 70s. Tons of jet boats had headers, and I'm not sure how any of them made it work with the thermostat housings that comes with most engines.
back in the day jet boats didnt have a waterpump on the engine,they use whats called a crossover that elinimated the waterpump,the jet pump fed the engine its water supply and dumped the excess through a pressure relief valve...http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.ph...l&p=11551&c=40

then they changed the thermostat housing to a 2 port with a bypass in it so it couls keep the headers cool when you first start the engine untio the thermostat opened. http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.ph...l&p=11561&c=52

so that thermostat housing i posted looks cheep now rite

Get it buy a 135* hose and go with it..

http://acehose.com/silicone-radiator-hoses.htm

Last edited by FIXX; 08-25-2010 at 07:16 PM.