shaft rockers >

shaft rockers

Notices

shaft rockers

Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, I also prefer the Jesel's in race type engine applications.

But Eddie is right, the cost discussion depends on your application regarding RPM / spring pressure / camshaft profile.

For example, I won't bother spending the money for the Jesels on the 454's in my pleasure boat because I'll only turn it to 5500 RPM max. The shaft mount Jesel's are overkill for those engines for me (but not knocking anyone who would choose to run them in that application).

But on the other hand, I have multiple race car engines that turn consistently to 8500+ RPM, and the shaft mount Jesel's are a no brainer (and in my opinion a necessity) for a stable valvetrain in that application.

So the 'are they worth the cost' question depends on your application and size of your wallet more than anything else.

My humble opinion for what its worth
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

540x2 afr 315 cnc bob is working on cams around 650 lift 5800-6000 rpm already have comp pro mags should i jest use them with gerdles
Old 01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
If you are past the 700# mark, or running much over .700 lift, then go to the Pro Series with the one piece rocker stand.
Eddie
Agreed with the one piece,

that is where I have seen them break, at the weld.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by itbs
540x2 afr 315 cnc bob is working on cams around 650 lift 5800-6000 rpm already have comp pro mags should i jest use them with gerdles
You are right on the verge of where I would use them. If you think the engine will pull to 6000 rpm and if you think you will see that rpm on a somewhat regular basis, then go with the shaft rockers. If you are going to turn 6K rpm once in a blue moon, or if it will only pull to 5800 rpm, then stick with what you have.....because you have them.
If you are starting from scratch, then the shaft rockers aren't that much more than a good stud mounted rocker with stud girdles. I don't run stud girdles. Quite simply, if I think it needs a girdle, then I just put the shaft rockers on.
You can spend up to $750-$800 on studs, guide plates, rockers, girdles, etc. A set of the Sportsman Series Jesel rockers are about $1000. That is a no brainer to me. That is $200 well spent. Good luck.
Eddie
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the service life for shaft mount rockers?