Who is running solid rollers? >

Who is running solid rollers?

Notices

Who is running solid rollers?

Old 05-16-2002, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

MBam(Marc)---
Only 50 hours??? Holy smokes dude that's not much time is it? Heck that's pratically 1/2 to 1/3 of my boating season!!! Shoot man, I'd be in a lot of trouble.......or broke!------and neither one of those are good! But I do believe you know what you're talking about. I have seen your boat running out on Lake Michigan too long over the years and for a V-bottom I know you never exactly had a SLOW boat so I don't take your comments lightly.

jdnca1---
okay, yeah 632 cubes isn't exactly a small block! In fact my 540's are pretty much small blocks compared to yours. I can see where it would eat up that cam in a heartbeat!

26Scarab---
Yeah, that hyd roller (620-630hp) did pretty well in my boat last year for a hyd roller that is . Over the winter (you may already know this) I had JimV fully port my Dart Pro-1's and bump the CR up to 9.67 and go to a 950cfm carb and with a 244*/244* on a 112* LS it made 682hp @5500rpm and 699hp @5750rpm. But I think I was blowing a lot of raw fuel out the exhaust. I believe the cam was too big and had too much overlap and the headers were over scavenging (spelling?) the exhuast which is why it was pulling raw fuel out. I like an EFFICIENT running engine so we stepped down a few degrees in cam size. I probably didn't have to go down to a 228*/236* on a 114* LS but I know it will give me a lot more torque down low and be very strong in my cruising range which is where I do most of my boating anyway and of course I will be sacrificing some hp off the top end but I believe it will only be something like 10-15hp. I willing to sacrifice a little hp off the top for some added torque. After all, torque is what MOVES THE MASS and it can be very intimidating! Plus, it will have even a smoother idle than last year which (now that I'm older) is what I like----especially around the docks/traffic and just plain shifting in/out of gear makes it a whole lot nicer to work with and is much easier on parts!
Old 05-17-2002, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MBAM;
The drag racer I mentioned has tried everything from a lifter standpoint...even a $2900 set. His take is that he has the best luck with Comp lifters. He changes valve springs after every 3 passes....could you imagine that!!! over 1.00" of lift will tend to "ingest" springs though... I run comp lifters, first set had 40 hrs on them and were changed out due to having the motor apart for another reason. I went with the heavier lifters with the oil groove this time around, we'll see how long those will last.

Last edited by jdnca1; 05-17-2002 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:38 AM
Registered

For hydraulic roller lifters I use the Comp brand as well too. I know a few other boaters who've had really good success with them with several hours on them.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Wette Vette
Do you have any idea as to when you are going to do some more testing? I would like to come over your way and if nothing else say "hey" and also observe your rocket,if you dont mind? are you the man on that lake now? I remember you telling me about a guy that had big cubic engines from Cal City but they didnt last long, Is he still running on your lake? also had the occasion to have guys from one of your local dealers install a boat lift at my house and he sort of indicated that he had a outboard that was a strong runner.??
Where do you guys hang out during the winter and evenings? Is Mikes boat running well this year? My regards to both of you. We still appreciate the help you guys gave my wife and I the time we were at your lake with our Howard. Would probaly still be stuck at the ramp!!
Regards, eliminator219
Old 05-17-2002, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Les,

I will be doing some more testing as soon as this weather gets a little better. I have your business card and will give you a call sometime and maybe I can try your 30 Bravo prop. As for being the fastest on our lake I know of 1 boat that is faster than me. He is a friend of mine and he is running an Obsession 234 (Eliminator 234 Edge) with a blown 540 (860 HP). We radared him at 99 mph!! He is going to be trying a short bravo soon and is hoping for more. I think his boat will gain a lot from this. Mike bought a 1995 22 Velocity last year and is looking to do some engine mods soon. I am putting some IMCO steering on it for him this weekend. What kind of boat do you have now? 30 Eliminator Daytona? Talk to you soon.

Craig
Old 05-17-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

I am really surprised more guys aren't running solid rollers!
Old 05-17-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

WetteVette---
Well, I was honestly considering running solid rollers but it's those HIGH spring pressures that pounds everything into pieces. And if you catch something before it breaks it still requires lots of maintenance. That means replacing springs/lifters because BEFORE they DO break so that you're not taking a risk. My opinion is that they're just not for your average every day boater. And one either can pay to have someone else do it and has deep pockets (and this stuff can be somewhat addicting even if one DOESN'T have deep pockets) OR must be well versed with engines to do this kind of stuff yourself and STILL have the $$$ to pay for replacing the parts.
Personally, I don't mind sacrificing the HP by not going with a solid roller and settle for a hyd. roller instead. They're virtually maintenance free....you still have to keep an eye on the lifters but I don't think it is as near as critical with the much lighter spring pressures as opposed to the higher spring pressures of a solid roller...but those solid rollers do make power, I will grant you that for sure. Personal preference I guess and I have a lot of respect for they guys who DO run the solid rollers---but I think I will stick with the "sissy" cams for now.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Registered

Default Who is using soilds?not me!!

Craig,
You are welcome to use any of my props that you would like. By the way, you mention that you had a friend that was going to try a short shaft, I have a pair of 2" in shorts that are not even on the boat at this time. I have the standards on now. If you would like to try the short shaft with a 30 or 32 or 36 you are welcome, Just let me know!
By the way, if you would dig out one of your old hotboat magazines, Try the Oct 01 and go to drive and prop testing, Mine is the customers boat. I had it brought back here toward the end of last summer, The trip took its toll on the trailer, Im working on it now, just got thru putting GPS and radios on, Didn't need them out west. Lake Michigan Whole different ball game. When summer ever gets
here I plan on entering some of these pocker runs, thats why I haven,t been advertising too much about my boat. They wouldn,t let me run the 26' Howard last year, said it was to small!! I mention that the only boat That I see that could beat me was the big Skater "Tom Cat" Now understand, If i wanted to lie and say my boat was longer they would let me in, Hell, too many people know that Howards Cats are 26 foot, so what would be the use of spending all that money to later be disqualified..
Craig, keep in touch,Let me know when you guys are running. love to watch!! take care, eliminator219
Old 05-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Registered

Default solid lifters

Solid lifters were real cool on 60's 327 motors! Are you as old as me to remember that?
Old 05-19-2002, 11:06 AM
Registered

Eliminator 219,
When my friends boat gets back from the shop we will be trying some props and doing some radaring to see what we can get out of it. I will send you an e-mail and let you know. It should be fun. Also if you ever need a hand in testing or running your new ride let me know and I will be glad to get a experienced crew together. I like being the guy holding the radar gun in my friends boats.

Formula 233,
I cannot remember the days when 327, and 427 Chevys came equipt with solid lifters. I do however have a solid roller in my boat and do a lot of tuning for friends who have solids in their cars and boats. The maintenance free hydraulic lifter cams have come a long way, but the solid lifter cams give you the ability to do some extra tinkering and tuning you just cannot do with hydraulic and I really enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Who is running solid rollers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.