Who is running solid rollers? >

Who is running solid rollers?

Notices

Who is running solid rollers?

Old 05-16-2002, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who is running solid rollers?

I thought it would be interesting to see how many guys are running solid roller cams and get some of the numbers. Also has anyone ever had major problems running these type of cams?

I use a comp solid grind
Duration 272/280 @ .050" lift
Lift .714"
Installed 112 + 4
In a high compression N/A 496".

No major problems with this set up, but only have 12 hrs on it. A couple of motors ago I had some valve springs braek, but luckily no major damage. Changed the springs and was good to go.
Has anyone ever lost a roller lifter? Just hunting for some more useless gearhead knowledge.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a cam very close to yours. Mine has a little less duration. 258/264 @.050"

The only problem I had with it so far is a lifter broke. After some investigating I found that I had too much spring pressure for the lifter i was running. I changed the springs and now use a marine/endurance lifter and hopefully I won't have any problems.

Most of my friends have solid rollers in there boats. One guy had over 200 hours on his small blocks with no problems.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:47 PM
Registered

Wette Vette you know mine;

Comp solid 280/288 @.050 .785/.760 lift on 115centerline +2

Just changed comp 948-16 springs after 45 hrs, they were starting to sag...seats pressures down to 270-280# vs 330# when new.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running hydraulic rollers (no problem to date), but my friend Keith (Hot Pursuit) is using solid rollers (Isky) and has broken several recently. They have less than 5 hours. He replaced his old rollers, which had over 100 hours with these new ones. Supposedly Isky has a fix in their newest*new lifter.

He's lost two cams this season, plus roller needles in his oil pump, broken oil pump shaft, etc. Amazingly, the bearings look good (he's using Amsoil)
Old 05-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

WOW!!! those are some BIG duration numbers @ .050 Doesn't seems like those cams would work very well with those kind of duration numbers...they just seem awefully big. They must make enough torque on the bottom to work well enough for you guys I guess, but it just doesn't seem like it would plane off that well with cams that size---whew!

Last year I was using a 236*/244* on a 114* lobe seps cam but I still think it's still a little on the large side so now I'm going with a 228*/236* on a 114* lobe seps in a pair of 540 cubic inch engines....but then of course these are hydraulic rollers that I'm using. But even for solid rollers and for the cubes you guys are running those duration numbers just seem quite large. It doesn't mean I'm right---just seems too large though.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:25 PM
Registered

KAAMA, I hear that a lot. My motor has 13.2:1 compression and it makes 180 PSI cranking pressure. It is a little tempermental around the docks. It is in a 2800 Lb boat so there is still plenty of torque to get it out of the hole with some authority. JDNCA1 is running that huge cam in a 10.5 Comp 632. It idles at 600 RPM in gear and pulls almost as hard as mine in the mid range and runs 100 MPH plus in his 26 Carrerra Cat!!!

26 Scarab,
I recall you changed your springs this year. When your lifter failed what happened? Did it do any other damage? I am running the Comp 951 spring set at 240# on the seat. Comp says no prob up to about 7500 RPM which I will never see. I am running the comp racing roller lifter and I know it can handle these springs. In your buddy's small block has he ever changed springs or lifters?
Old 05-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

WetteVette.
When that lifter went I heard a change of tone in the motor just as I was getting off plane. But I still ended up taking out the cam. It looked like the trunion just came apart.

On my buddies small block, he didn't change anything in those 200 hours. I think he checked the lash maybe once a year.

Kaama,
I too here the same thing, but the motor I dynoed made good power and torque all thru the power band. It did like to be spun to 5800. Also these cams seem to make good power in a low compression motor. My buddies 565" made 720hp @5800 and it only has 8:5.1 cr. It has an old set of D ports on it.
I do like the route that you took though. Your motor is VERY impressive for the RPM's you turn and the hyd. cam.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:18 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Unless there is something new on the market (been a few years since I did any engine work) expect about 50 hrs on the solid rollers (big block, small block is much easier on them). Have tried Crane, Isky, Erson, Crower & Jessel (probaly a few I have forgotton). The Jessel are $$, but none of the engines I put them in have enough hours on them yet to tell if they will last longer.

Most of the time I go past 50 hours there is trouble.

Solve this and you will rule the engine world. Note that the new Merc engine has a rebuild at 50 hours included in the price.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:44 PM
Registered

26 Scarab,

Did you idle your motor a lot? I have heard there isn't enough oil windage at low rpm to keep the cam lubed. Your new lifters probably have that oil groove in it to let some oil get to the cam at low rpm. I boat on a small lake and don't have to idle very much. Once I clear the 200' buoy it's hammer down time. Some say solid rollers like 6000 rpm better than idle. I have noticed solids are showing up more on street applications. Probably when I get 50 to 75 hrs I will change springs and lifters to be safe.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:34 PM
Registered

I guess I did forget to mention I was running that cam in a 632, the cubes help make a lot of torque down low where normally a big cam like that would suffer. Amazingly, the motor is very snappy through out the powerband...I started with an Erson 272/278 @.050 similar lift on 114 center, the motor just ran out of cam @5900...I picked up 40 hp and lost no torque by stepping up 10 degrees in duration. Motor has a Dart tunnel ram with 2X775 Race Demons and literally idles @ 650rpm in gear, 900-1000rpm in. I get the "BIG CAM" comment alot, but "cubes" makes a big difference and I guess I hang around too many drag racers...thats a "small" cam to most of them. For example I have a buddy that runs mustang Pro with a 360 small block ford running a bigger cam than I do...of course his comp is 17:1 and he turns 10,200rpm. I make 901HP @6700, he makes 940hp @9700...Now that my friend is impressive.

Quick Reply: Who is running solid rollers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.