Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
ok I want to build a gm big block >

ok I want to build a gm big block

Notices

ok I want to build a gm big block

Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

4 bolt gen IV. Prefer it to be cut .040 or under. That gives me 20 to work with and I don't like blocks cut more then 60 over.
If you want roller then find a Gen VI block that is already set up for it. If not you will spend a ton of money you don't need to.
The Gen V is the middle child. Better then the 4 in some ways but not as good as the 6. IMHO, not doing roller, with a few upgrades the Gen 5 is the motor to build as long as you cover the minor issues that GM missed.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and you didn't buy? If the number where right you could have resold and financed a portion of your build on the profit.

Originally Posted by toolsinbox
shipping is too huge to here in Canada. I am keeping my eyes open for a 502 block that would be ideal for me. Anything around here is set up for cars thats why I am looking for just a block first. I find people are so full of BS when advertising on line like on craig list and other for sale sites so you cant depend on the internals. I went to look at one on the weekend as advertised as a 454 was in fact a 427 rare corvette block. with the fuel injection and all. I told the guy he was nuts to sell for $500.00. I am still wondering how he made out.

I am serious about building a bullet proof engine that will be exactly what I want.

Question: when, if at all, does the added weight of H billet rods, make it a waste. How much power do you have to be making to use them? Or does it matter? Use them if you can afford them? I intend on getting the crank and rods together from the same place.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

How about a nice 427 Tall Deck truck block...thick cylinder walls!

Realistically, by the time you buy a block, have it all machined, new crank, rods, pistons, etc, you might as well buy a complete shortblock that is NEW. Bolt on your choice of heads, cam, etc.

If you dont want a blower, and want 454CI, 500HP is gonna be about max. stock GM Forged stuff is plenty for that. If starting from scratch, it really doesnt cost all that much more to go bigger CI, 502, 540, etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Here you go. Complete drop in. Even has full exhaust, which would work better than those kodiak manifolds.

Buy that, drop it in, keep stock motor for a backup or sell complete.

you wont be able to piece together something for what you can buy this one for. The exhaust alone is worth 1000 bucks used. A decent hyd roller cam kit is around 1000 bucks, cam lifters, etc. Fresh valve jobs, machine work, intake, carb, etc

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ck-market.html
Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Toolsinbox- even with the expense of shipping you might want to look at complete package like the hp465/502 that is in the swapshop complete with exhaust. All those parts add up fast....
Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"I find people are so full of BS when advertising on line like on craig list and other for sale sites so you cant depend on the internals. I went to look at one on the weekend as advertised as a 454 was in fact a 427 rare corvette block. with the fuel injection and all. I told the guy he was nuts to sell for $500.00. I am still wondering how he made out."

Might be a good thing you passed on that deal- does anyone remember a fuel injected 427 being offered? Might have been something rare or might have been a 500 paper weight.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the whole thing will take away from my two sons and I building engine. I kinda think that will out weigh the extra cost.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok a guy has a compleat 454 except carb and alternator; here is what he said when I asked him for the casting details. It is from a 1981 suberban. Anyone have any insite on what I may be looking at?
This is his e-mail

I couldn't quite make out the block casting number but what I could see was - 1 4 _ _ 5 4 4 5 the third number looks like an 8 or a zero, the fourth one is a blob that I can't make out. I spent ten minutes wire brushing it, thats the best I can do. the other numbers on the bell housing are- CON V2 and GM 10 T
hope that helps.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This list says 75-87 454 4 bolt mains.
http://www.chevellebigblock.com/pdf/...ockCasting.pdf

But this one says 78-87 454 2 or 4 bolt mains.
http://www.roadsters.com/bbc/#blocks
Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with building something with your sons,
so long as you know the real cost and you have the funds to finish it.
No matter how you slice it you will be looking at $5000 going up from there depending on what HP you are looking for...
May be more fun to do a simple upgrade to what you have since its already rebuilt,throw some heads+cam at it, gain 50-100hp and go out and have fun on the boat with your sons and use the extra money for gas!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.