Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
need help on a helm/orbital valve i.d. >

need help on a helm/orbital valve i.d.

Notices

need help on a helm/orbital valve i.d.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default need help on a helm/orbital valve i.d.

i am looking at a orbital valve which is a "helm" for a hydraulic system... if you dont know what i am talkling about chances are you wont be able to answer my qustion. i am trying to figure out if the valve i am looking at will work for a single ram hydraulic steering setup. it is a char lynn and tagged 40-97 & 2411071-002

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look on the Eaton site for Steering Control Units (they don't call them orbital valves). I quickly found this:
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products...CU-TS005-E.pdf and this http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/steer_main.htm

You should be able to match up what you have, and we have contacted the Eaton reps for work. They were very helpful in answering our inquiries.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

i have been looking all over on there trying to find the size on this one with no luck. i looked during lunch at work so i will look again tonight. thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Registered

What size cylinder do you have ? What size rod is it 5/8 3/4 or 1 inch?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
i am looking at a orbital valve which is a "helm" for a hydraulic system... if you dont know what i am talkling about chances are you wont be able to answer my qustion. i am trying to figure out if the valve i am looking at will work for a single ram hydraulic steering setup. it is a char lynn and tagged 40-97 & 2411071-002

any help would be greatly appreciated!
241-1071-0002 is not a Char Lynn part number. But if it is a 241 then it would appear to be an Open Center / Non Load Reaction steering valve, what you need.
http://www.fluidpower.com.br/catalog...n_direcoes.pdf
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

thats what i dont get, its stamped char lynn.... we are thinking this particular one is not going to be big enough... but from researching yesterday i can decode the model numbers. thought i already had one lined up but we think that the ones we have on hand are too big back to searching. thanks for the help guys!!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered

What do you mean ( big enough) . I no I can help. A new one is only $ 300 or so. Cylinder size and rod size that's what I need to no.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Registered

i do not know the size, it cam in the mail last night and didntt havemuc time to look at it. the part number on it is 18183 and its latham. bad thing about latham is there isnt much info out there on their products and so far i have not been able to find specs. it appears to me to be a newer model after comparing it to my buddies older set up he has on his trs drives. the orbital valve i was looking at was off of some golf course size lawn tractor, the ones we have sitting in the shop are for dual rams and the one of them is way too big, the other may work as a temp just to get on the water. you can get new ones for around 300 bucks, the one i asked about was 95 bucks. to a guy like me if i can save 200 bucks doing some research and buying a good used one then that leaves me 200 bucks for something else such as buying trim pumps for my k planes... sorry, i am stingy lol
Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

Good luck finding a use orbital the will give you the right flow of a single ram set up. Some times good money spent on the right parts goes a long way expescially on steering . I am cheap too. LOL
Old 01-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
thats what i dont get, its stamped char lynn.... we are thinking this particular one is not going to be big enough... but from researching yesterday i can decode the model numbers. thought i already had one lined up but we think that the ones we have on hand are too big back to searching. thanks for the help guys!!
I have posted this link before. Read all 4 pages and you will have a greater understanding of hydraulic steering. It explains the 1 cylinder unbalance Lock To Lock. Also you stated earlier, if you do not understand this you should not be doing it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ing/index.html
These are some of the steering valve part #'s you can use. Keep an eye on ebay for these part #'s. I got a new one for about $100.
http://www.midweststeering.com/index...parent=80&pg=1

Last edited by Rookie; 01-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.