Small rocks in oil filler tube??? >

Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Notices

Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz
Not sure if its the same with marine engines, but I know with car engines there is a screen over the sump pump. And I figured if there are more rocks in there, they would sway with the oil. The boat ran great the 2 times I took it out, and oil pressure was good the entire time.

Hell if it blows, thats just an excuse for me to get the 525 I want
Yes, there IS a screen, but I still wouldnt want rocks bouncing around in there. I guess you would probably be OK, so long as they are not big enough, or enough of them to clog the screen. If you decided not to pull the engines, at least keep a clos eye on oil pressure. How big were the rocks?? If they were small enough, a few oil changes pulling the drainplug(not pumping up thru the dipstick) should get most of them out.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pin has been removed...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minxguy
I once bought a Yamaha 250 Enduro (hey, I am old) from a guy whose brother but valve grinding coumpound in the oil tank.

Thankfully I caught it when I was doing the "once over" before really riding it.

Ken
I also had a 250 Enduro. Great bike, but primitive by todays standard. I now have a KX500 and it is a monster compared to the old Yamaha. I also had a 250MX if you remember those. I guess we are both old. lol
Old 03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
Are you sure they are "rocks"? Could they be little pieces of metal, carbon, etc that actually were in the engine and blown up in the filler neck. I have seen old worn out engines steaming and venting out the oil fill neck. Have you cleaned one off to make sure it is a rock?
Yes they were def. rocks. I pulled a total of 4 out and examined them. It was like surgury getting those damn things out! I had to use needle nose pliers, screwdriver with duct tape around it, a skewer (that I bent in the shape of a hook) lol. I have built a car engine that was less frustrating than getting these rocks out
Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd think any rocks that made it into the oil pan via the dipstick tube, will just lay there and not cause any harm. But I would for sure pull the valve covers to make sure none were dropped in thru the vents caps. Any rocks up there can be a problem.

Why did you fill oil thru the dipstick tube instead of the fill cap?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I'd think any rocks that made it into the oil pan via the dipstick tube, will just lay there and not cause any harm. But I would for sure pull the valve covers to make sure none were dropped in thru the vents caps. Any rocks up there can be a problem.

Why did you fill oil thru the dipstick tube instead of the fill cap?
I didnt fill thru the dipstick tube. I filled thru the fill cap, and it was that tube (fill cap tube) that had the rocks in them. I never touched the dipstick tube, only to check the oil.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
Lol!!! It took me the longest time to try and figure out what the hell u were talking about. I actually thought u replied to the wrong thread. Well if u see me looking for a 525 for a good price, then u obviously know what happened
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
Only on post # 22 and I was thinking the same thing
Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with your engine, I have blew mine up many times. The rocks would most likely not make it through the screen on the pickup tube. I would pull the engine, drop the pan, look at the oil cooler and go through the entire oil system. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by jeffswav; 04-02-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Registered

I was thinking that you could have taken a sample of the oil and had it analyzed- let the lab know what you found and they might be able to give you some insight as to what they see on a oil analysis. For about $25 it might give you piece of mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.