Small rocks in oil filler tube??? >

Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Notices

Small rocks in oil filler tube???

Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dogturd21
I was thinking that you could have taken a sample of the oil and had it analyzed- let the lab know what you found and they might be able to give you some insight as to what they see on a oil analysis. For about $25 it might give you piece of mind.
Oh that sucks! I had to change my girlfriends oil in her car yesterday, so I dumped the oil at Pepboys so I would have space in the oil container. I never thought of that. Where would I even take it to? And if stones are in the oil, how could a analysis verify that?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

I had a good friend who was going through a real bad divorce. We both hooked up out boats one Saturday and headed off the get fuel. When he popped the fuel fill open, it was filled to the brim with dirt. He then checked the engine and the valve covers were filled with dirt also. He rushed home to find his bike in the same shape. I don't have to say anymore about where this dirt and rocks came from ...
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I had a good friend who was going through a real bad divorce. We both hooked up out boats one Saturday and headed off the get fuel. When he popped the fuel fill open, it was filled to the brim with dirt. He then checked the engine and the valve covers were filled with dirt also. He rushed home to find his bike in the same shape. I don't have to say anymore about where this dirt and rocks came from ...
Hey, Im a strong advocate against domestic violence................but in that case I could understand a little bit lol!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz
Oh that sucks! I had to change my girlfriends oil in her car yesterday, so I dumped the oil at Pepboys so I would have space in the oil container. I never thought of that. Where would I even take it to? And if stones are in the oil, how could a analysis verify that?
If the stones were ground up, it would come back as "insoluables" or other elements, but you would have to ask the labs tech support about that. They could also tell you if damage was done based on the types of metals found in the engine oil. Check out Blackstone Labs on the web, or Oil Analyzers which is a partner of Amsoil. Both can provide you with sample kits and mailers.

If you search for a web site called "Bob is the Oil Guy" (a very busy website) you can find a section on oil analysis and see a few sample reports. IN fact, posting your problem on that website might get you some further info on how to deal with this problem. I for one would pull the valve covers off and try to clean the top end, since this is where the oil fill enters the engine. If you have not started the engine since the rocks were added, you might just get away with cleaning this area and be done with it. You also did not mention the size of the rocks. If they were bigger they might not fall down past the valve area. Coarse or fine sand would be a bigger problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

Thanks dogturd! The rocks I found were just big enough not to fit down the smaller opening at the bottom of the filler tube. Def. too big to fit past the screen in the oil pan and then filter.

For everyone suggesting to pull the valve covers and take a look inside, do you think it would matter in my situation? I took the boat out on 2 seatrials, took it out twice after I bought it, and started it up twice on the muffs (once to warm the engine up to change the oil, and the other after to check the level). So it has been started a total of 6 times (in my possesion) and of those 6 times, 4 times driven pretty hard.

So what do u think? If there was going to be damage inside, wouldnt it be done already?

Thanks!

Last edited by DirtyJerz; 04-01-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is repairable damage-then there is hole in the side of the block damage.Pull the valve covers run you fingers around if its clean you might be ok.Do you at least have the oil filters you can cut them open and see if any thing is inside.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

i would either pull the cover or get the shop vac out and put the hose over the oil spout and listen for little noises like rocks going in the shop vacs hose..
Old 04-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like next time you run it your Oil changes will be made simple with that new hole in the oil pan any pics of what ya found or is this april fools as well ?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Its Probably too late now !If any small stones got past you they are going to get ground up and work there way into the bearings and other small areas that you dont want them to go to.......May not have a failure right away but dont expect any long term use!!!!Just a guess mind you ,but I hope I am wrong.Do yourself a favor and at least check closer ---- Im not sure at this time even if you pulled the valve covers you would find anything; still better than a $5000.00 repair job.

Good Luck

Jim
Old 04-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

DirtyJerz- I do not understand why you are so reluctant to pull off the valve covers- if they are stock valve covers, then the gasket is a rubber reusable type. Are your exhaust manifolds getting in the way ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.