Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Carb HP500 Oil Overheating? >

Carb HP500 Oil Overheating?

Notices

Carb HP500 Oil Overheating?

Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check the oil thermostat on the remote filter pad. If it's stuck it won't route oil to the cooler. Mine was stuck, all I had to do was clean it and it works fine now.

Since water temps are fine I wouldn't think water pump is the problem.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
I would take out the thermostat and try it. They don't last forever.
is the thermostat right on top of the intake at the front where all those hoses go? Here is one of my motors. just not sure exactly where T-Stat is.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Eliminator28
Check the oil thermostat on the remote filter pad. If it's stuck it won't route oil to the cooler. Mine was stuck, all I had to do was clean it and it works fine now.

Since water temps are fine I wouldn't think water pump is the problem.
I dont think it's impellers either. they were done at end of last season. boat is never started out of water... with or without water hose. Where is this remote filter pad thermostat??
Old 05-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Registered

Its not shown in your pic but should be a sandwich tstat mounting between the oil filter and remote filter mount on the back of the port head.

Oh yeah and one trip to 280f on synthetic oil I would not change it. Dino oil I would.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Its not shown in your pic but should be a sandwich tstat mounting between the oil filter and remote filter mount on the back of the port head.

Oh yeah and one trip to 280f on synthetic oil I would not change it. Dino oil I would.
great info. so there is just one thermostat for both engines? is this easy to get to? Here's a better pic of both motors where you can see the filter of the Port eng.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
My first guess would be a lean condition. You might swap carbs side to side to see if the issue follows. Also validate timing at 3500rpm.
+1...easy test
Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fool Throttle22
I dont think it's impellers either. they were done at end of last season. boat is never started out of water... with or without water hose. Where is this remote filter pad thermostat??
It's kinda hiding in this pic. Black thing behind the oil lines that go the oil cooler. It has a snap ring that pops out, and the thermostat is underneath it. Just pull it out, clean it, then test it in some hot water and you'll see it expand.

It's worth a shot

Old 05-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Registered

Oh i see.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Eliminator28
It's kinda hiding in this pic. Black thing behind the oil lines that go the oil cooler. It has a snap ring that pops out, and the thermostat is underneath it. Just pull it out, clean it, then test it in some hot water and you'll see it expand.

It's worth a shot

so where is this black box thats in ur pics located? directly above the oil filter?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered

The pic is of the remote oil filter pad. On the back of the engine, port side (where your oil filter goes on). the lines sticking up in the air in the pic are actually facing towards the starboard side of the engine, and connecting to the oil cooler.

You do understand I'm talking about the oil cooler thermostat and not the engine water thermostat right?

This filter pad is mounted to the back of the port side head. NOT down where the original oil filter would go if it was in a car...

Last edited by Eliminator28; 05-27-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.