Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Solid roller lifters...... >

Solid roller lifters......

Notices

Solid roller lifters......

Old 12-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you are looking at it in the wrong way.........no offense meant. The extra money is for the piece of mind that there can never be any tiny needles flying around inside your engines. And yes, I do run the ISKY EZX lifters in my engines.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

I can't believe rockers are so frequently aluminum either. Bad application there.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:01 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hogie,
The interesting thing about the use of aluminum in that application is that T&D offers a steel rocker arm as an option. The premium on the steel upgrade would be approximately $650 per set. While that premium is not insignificant, the fact that the steel rockers do not have a material driven cycle value, their service life would compensate for that premium 10 times over the lifespan of the engine. For an engine of that caliber it would seem like the steel upgrade would be a foregone conclusion.

Bob
Old 12-03-2014, 12:18 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bushed lifter bores are not a necessity in either a hydraulic or mechanical lifter scenario. What is critical is proper lifter to bore clearance. Next to compliance and lack stiffness in the valve train, improper lifter to bore clearance is responsible for more lifter failures than any other oversight. Too little clearance, you stick a lifter in a bore. Too much clearance, and lifter suffers from lack of support in the bore, excessive side loading, and 16 major oil leaks into the oiling system. Using a bushing will salvage a block that has excessive clearance or erratic bore concentricity.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Solid roller lifters......-lifter.jpg  
Old 12-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think many people overlook, the lifter bores. A micrometer and a dial bore gauge are a must for this job. Either a new block or a used block, it should be checked. 2 ways of fixing it; 1 with lifter truing the block with bushings or same tooling going to a .902 lifter or larger.
Most people, do not want to spend the $$$ since there wasn't a catastrophic failure before with a lifter, the issue is ignored. It would be the same as putting a engine together without checking bearing clearances.I myself use a BHJ fixture for this in my mill which has different tooling and setup fixtures, that pertain to specific blocks and deck heights.
As Bob, stated; 16 oil leaks. Those 16 oil leaks are going to affect the oil supply to the lifter and more so, using a hydraulic or a Hi Rev hydraulic lifter, that will further translate into lack of oil supply to rocker arms and cooling of valve springs.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM
Registered

When evaluating a lifter bore, is one looking for a glass smooth finish or more of a cross hatch pattern?

Second, how prone are the lower HP Gen VI blocks to lifter bore wear? 502mags, HP 500's, etc.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cole2534
When evaluating a lifter bore, is one looking for a glass smooth finish or more of a cross hatch pattern?

Second, how prone are the lower HP Gen VI blocks to lifter bore wear? 502mags, HP 500's, etc.
Crosshatch pattern, about the same as a cylinder bore ( oil retention ) a block from manufacture will have machined surface allowing for oil retention, but not the same as a finish hone crosshatch.
Your second question; it will depend on many variables. Sizing of bores originally, actual lifter diameter, service intervals, has there been any valve train issues prior. You will have normal wear over time, to what point that is; you will have to determine.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Registered

Thanks Mark
Old 12-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Great input here from you guys. My pants are getting tight with all this good tech talk. Now you guys got me horny for solid rollers in my next builds.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Crosshatch pattern, about the same as a cylinder bore ( oil retention ) a block from manufacture will have machined surface allowing for oil retention, but not the same as a finish hone crosshatch.
Your second question; it will depend on many variables. Sizing of bores originally, actual lifter diameter, service intervals, has there been any valve train issues prior. You will have normal wear over time, to what point that is; you will have to determine.

Great info as always Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.