Hydrolocked my motor >

Hydrolocked my motor

Notices

Hydrolocked my motor

Old 12-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You said the engine hydrolocked, but then you say that you pulled all the plugs and there was no water in the cylinders. It sounds like you could have multiple issues. The Merc Gils were very susceptible to reversion, especially in the earlier years before they changed the risers.
If you've got 80psi and are not seeing any leaks, then the manifolds are fine. They only see about 3psi at idle.

Originally Posted by tcelano
I'd bet the riser/elbow went bad. What did the manifold/riser gasket look like?

If not those, then the only other answer is reversion. You could have hit some harmonic holding it at 1500 that sucked water down, but the exhaust pressure kept it from entering the exhaust valve. Once you dropped back to idle, there would have been much less exhaust gas velocity coming out of the cylinder, with the exh valve staying open longer, allowing it to flood.
It is a dry joint. Water passes between via a hose.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you spin it over with the plugs out ?? should have...sounds weird to hydro-lock while running like that ??
Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
You said the engine hydrolocked, but then you say that you pulled all the plugs and there was no water in the cylinders. It sounds like you could have multiple issues. The Merc Gils were very susceptible to reversion, especially in the earlier years before they changed the risers.
If you've got 80psi and are not seeing any leaks, then the manifolds are fine. They only see about 3psi at idle.

Check the risers, I had one gone bad just above the hose bung.
Agree with Griff, odd that you did not find any water in the cylinders.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Merc had a bulliten out awhile back on running their motors on a garden hose. They recommended @ 1,200 RPM and not to have a ton of water pressure coming out of the hose. When you backed off the lower RPM and high water pressure could have reverted water. Are you sure it didn't just drop a couple of cylinders and die?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crank it over with no plugs in it and see if the noise is still there and if it turns over smooth. It sounds to me like something else let loose.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff

When I said the plugs were fine, I meant no physical damage.. There was water in the cylinders. I'm convinced now that the manifolds are fine, but haven't had a chance to check the risers yet. And yes, it has the old style short risers.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
did you spin it over with the plugs out ?? should have...sounds weird to hydro-lock while running like that ??
Originally Posted by blue thunder
Crank it over with no plugs in it and see if the noise is still there and if it turns over smooth. It sounds to me like something else let loose.
Turned it over with the plugs out, and manifolds off, and it makes an ugly thunking noise.

I'm just gonna tuck my tail between my legs and pull the motor out, and tear it down. I'd rather it be right then questionable, besides I got all winter.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stuck exhaust valve?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliminator28
Turned it over with the plugs out, and manifolds off, and it makes an ugly thunking noise.

I'm just gonna tuck my tail between my legs and pull the motor out, and tear it down. I'd rather it be right then questionable, besides I got all winter.
Horrible feeling. I broke a crank near WOT right after labor day so I can associate well. Good luck and hopefully it won't be too bad in there because it was not under heavy load/rpm. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by blue thunder; 12-19-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcelano
Stuck exhaust valve?
Thought about that.. But doesn't make sense at idle.. cold water on the stem maybe. I was pretty careful when I built this thing. I put 11/32 stem valves in it and clearanced the exhaust stems to .0018-.0020. There would have to be a lot of movement to stick them.

When I get it apart I'll post up some pics so all you guy's can have some fun at my expense

I'm trying to have a sense of humor....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.