Gasoline Quality >

Gasoline Quality

Notices

Gasoline Quality

Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
whats the difference in marine engiens and cars??
In a nutshell...ethanol is both a solvent and is corrosive. It also requires more of it , than gas, to attain the same fuel/air ratio otherwise a slightly lean condition will occur. Late model cars (after about 2006) are designed with all of this in mind (lined tanks, barrier hose, etc.) while most, if not all, boats fuel systems are not designed for this harsh fuel. While late model cars and most injected boats (where the engine controls are computer managed) can compensate for the lean condition created by E10, carbureted engines will ideally need to be re-jetted to compensate for the slightly lean condition. Even earlier fuel injected computer controlled cars can not optimally adjust for this condition and their fuel systems were not designed for E10. So, while we worry about our boats, we should also be thinking about our older cars & trucks.

Again, I'm not saying that E10 is without it's problems but we have to be smart and pay a little more attention to our fuel systems because it's here to stay. But not every fuel system issue can be blamed on E10.

Count your blessings...South America has E20 & E25 fuel
Old 12-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KachinaShadow
In a nutshell...ethanol is both a solvent and is corrosive. It also requires more of it , than gas, to attain the same fuel/air ratio otherwise a slightly lean condition will occur. Late model cars (after about 2006) are designed with all of this in mind (lined tanks, barrier hose, etc.) while most, if not all, boats fuel systems are not designed for this harsh fuel. While late model cars and most injected boats (where the engine controls are computer managed) can compensate for the lean condition created by E10, carbureted engines will ideally need to be re-jetted to compensate for the slightly lean condition. Even earlier fuel injected computer controlled cars can not optimally adjust for this condition and their fuel systems were not designed for E10. So, while we worry about our boats, we should also be thinking about our older cars & trucks.

Again, I'm not saying that E10 is without it's problems but we have to be smart and pay a little more attention to our fuel systems because it's here to stay. But not every fuel system issue can be blamed on E10.

Brazil uses a lot of E85.

In the same Dec 2011 Boat US magazine referenced above is an article about isobutanol. Like ethanol, isobutanol can be produced by bacterial fermentation of starchy substrate. Except the bacteria are re-engineered to produce isobutanol instead. As the article explains, isobutanol also raises octane and oxygenates the fuel like ethanol does but is not hydrophilic like ethanol and should avoid essentially all the water related problems we have with ethanol while providing the same benefits. Yes fermentation fuels are less energy dense than gasoline but with simple modifications we can continue to use our beloved internal combustion engines. I don't know about the rest of you but we are seeing more and more Electric Car recharging stations being installed around Houston. How sexy will it be to someday blast across the waves sounding like a sewing machine or worse yet in near total silence??!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
I don't know about the rest of you but we are seeing more and more Electric Car recharging stations being installed around Houston. How sexy will it be to someday blast across the waves sounding like a sewing machine or worse yet in near total silence??!
Should I start a discussion on how to rewind your armature for more power, or would it be a little premature
Old 12-24-2011, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
We've seen several damaged engines this year that the only plausible explanation was bad fuel.

Bob Lloyd
Full Throttle Marine
I can attest to that!!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered

One thing that comes to mind in all the testing and articles that have been done. It's all done in a controlled environment. How does everything stack up in the real world when boats are neglected and sit for many months in the rain, heat & cold. I quite often get boats in that have been unused for several years. I know for a fact we've pumped more fuel tanks and cleaned fuel systems in the last year than the previous 10 years combined! Our area just went totally to E10 Jan. 2010. Coincedence? Maybe.

Bob Lloyd
Full Throttle Marine
Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered

We've found in our dyno testing the engines using E10 must be tuned roughly .5 A/F richer to produce best power. Also, most fuel injected marine engines run open loop so they can't adjust the A/F ratio without a reprogram. Fortunately most factory tunes are on the rich side so they are still safe. Some aftermarket tunes that are on the ragged edge of too lean could have problems with E10. Especially supercharged engines.

Originally Posted by KachinaShadow

Old 12-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
One thing that comes to mind in all the testing and articles that have been done. It's all done in a controlled environment. How does everything stack up in the real world when boats are neglected and sit for many months in the rain, heat & cold. I quite often get boats in that have been unused for several years. I know for a fact we've pumped more fuel tanks and cleaned fuel systems in the last year than the previous 10 years combined! Our area just went totally to E10 Jan. 2010. Coincedence? Maybe.

Bob Lloyd
Full Throttle Marine
Could be that, given the state of the economy the past three years, less attention (and money) has been paid to the toys and more to just putting food on the table. Still, maybe a portion of that is an E10 issue.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default S O S !!!

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, ethanol blended E10 which is just about everywhere and in many cases the only fuels avialble at normal fueling stations is enough of a problem. Now, we are apparently through current legislation and mandate going to see E15 very soon and this is the one that really scares and maddens me! Its definitly been shown by Mercury and other big players in the marine engine manufacturing industry to cause serious marine engine mechanical damage and this is the one they (lovely experts and agencies) want us using in marine engines! Hold on to your wallets and get ready for that BIG SUCKING SOUND! -thats the money leaving your pockets for repairs and problems and going in some smiley face peoples pockets for the sake of a so called pollution problem that cannot even be supported with real statistical data! Remember recreational boating has been lumped into all forms of marine engine usage when these requirements for EPA compliance were and are formulated!
As I keep saying, we are being feed S**t On Shingle and we keep eating it like we have to! Sorry for my Rant!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
...we are being feed S**t On Shingle and we keep eating it like we have to! Sorry for my Rant!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I like ranting too but it doesn't solve problems. The government is looking for environmentally friendly ways to extend and enrich fuel and bacterial production may be a good answer. I have read about it and you can use raw garbage to produce ethanol or isobutanol. I suggest we all read the article in Dec 2011 Boat US mag and make your own judgement. I think a few setting changes or a larger fuel/water separator are small prices to pay to continue to use internal combustion engines.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
I like ranting too but it doesn't solve problems. The government is looking for environmentally friendly ways to extend and enrich fuel and bacterial production may be a good answer. I have read about it and you can use raw garbage to produce ethanol or isobutanol. I suggest we all read the article in Dec 2011 Boat US mag and make your own judgement. I think a few setting changes or a larger fuel/water separator are small prices to pay to continue to use internal combustion engines.
have to agree on that...we had the same foofarah when unleaded showed its ugly nose...given enough time,the industry can and will adjust...jmo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.