496 Procharger 3.5psi >

496 Procharger 3.5psi

Notices

496 Procharger 3.5psi

Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRH
I ran a 3.5 psi ProCharger for 4 years & 200 hours on a 496 Mag.... no ECU reprogram.... NO PROBLEMS EVER! And the motor is still running perfect for the new owner today last I heard....boat went from turning a 24 Bravo one at 4900 rpms to turning a 28 Bravo one at 4900 rpms... nothing changed in the mannerism of the 496 under 4000 rpm's... once into the boost, over 4000 rpms... everything changed... including the gas mileage!

I wouldn;t hesitate a minute to procharge a 496Mag 3.5 psi.... remember Mercury used to warantee their 525SC for one year back in the 90's with only 3 lbs of boost.... 3lbs won't hurt a thing on that motor.....
Did you remove the turbulators?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by checkeredpast
Did you remove the turbulators?
Yeah... I replaced them with chrome muffler bearings...LOL... no... I did not...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GRH
I ran a 3.5 psi ProCharger for 4 years & 200 hours on a 496 Mag.... no ECU reprogram.... NO PROBLEMS EVER! And the motor is still running perfect for the new owner today last I heard....boat went from turning a 24 Bravo one at 4900 rpms to turning a 28 Bravo one at 4900 rpms... nothing changed in the mannerism of the 496 under 4000 rpm's... once into the boost, over 4000 rpms... everything changed... including the gas mileage!

I wouldn;t hesitate a minute to procharge a 496Mag 3.5 psi.... remember Mercury used to warantee their 525SC for one year back in the 90's with only 3 lbs of boost.... 3lbs won't hurt a thing on that motor.....
Yes,,,, and that engine had totally different pistons (which is the major problem in the 496).

Not even a close comparison; especially when you consider the fact that hypereutectic pistons continue to get more brittle with use.

I broke mine without any boost -
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GRH
I don't believe the 1 in 10 odds...... but I'm sure you see the ones that don't work out... and never hear from the ones that do....
I must be one of the lucky ones too. I ran a Whipple with 5psi on an all stock 496 for 3 years and 100+ hours. I belive that it hade alot to do with Dustin and his reflash on the ecm. You just cant beat Whipple and the product suport that Dustin gives.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

No doubt there are several owners out there who can get away with this and in my estimation (for what it's worth), here's what happens:

Lots of guys add on extra mods etc and NEVER really run the boat hard. They wanna push it hard for about 20-30 seconds and see the GPS top out. Most of their use is cruising and rpm's below 4800.

But a guy like me who spends & spends to get the power - I'll ring that b_tch out and buy 3 or 4 tanks of fuel @ Havasu in a day. If you play with it and enjoy the performance you ain't gonna run it long with boost before you have to tear it all down again.

Not being negative nancy but I know that engine well. Respectfully, DON'T be fooled by the fact that you feel as though you don't hear from the guys who had "good" experiences.

I've had lot of guys off this site call me. We talk about it for 45 minutes. They go off in a direction.. And then I get another phone call 3 or 4 months later.

The only real defense in the idea of how you "never hear of the good experiences" might only be provided by the fact that few boaters ever join this site per-capita.

But if you are a very sensible user, why not put the charger on it - - - Eventually everything breaks anyway no matter how you build it.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
No doubt there are several owners out there who can get away with this and in my estimation (for what it's worth), here's what happens:

Lots of guys add on extra mods etc and NEVER really run the boat hard. They wanna push it hard for about 20-30 seconds and see the GPS top out. Most of their use is cruising and rpm's below 4800.

But a guy like me who spends & spends to get the power - I'll ring that b_tch out and buy 3 or 4 tanks of fuel @ Havasu in a day. If you play with it and enjoy the performance you ain't gonna run it long with boost before you have to tear it all down again.

Not being negative nancy but I know that engine well. Respectfully, DON'T be fooled by the fact that you feel as though you don't hear from the guys who had "good" experiences.

I've had lot of guys off this site call me. We talk about it for 45 minutes. They go off in a direction.. And then I get another phone call 3 or 4 months later.

The only real defense in the idea of how you "never hear of the good experiences" might only be provided by the fact that few boaters ever join this site per-capita.

But if you are a very sensible user, why not put the charger on it - - - Eventually everything breaks anyway no matter how you build it.

I agree with what I think you are saying... and that is if you use it moderately.... they will last... but if you are going to run the thing full tilt boogie all day long.... it won't last long... they do not become a full race engine simply by adding 3.5lbs of boost... but you can add it & enjoy it in moderation....
Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Registered

i think if you're the kind of guys that runs wide open all day (not that many,even if you pretend to be one),you dont buy a 496 to start with
Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daveintexas
Thanks for the input. Wont do anything for a while and am just doing rearch on future power inprovements. After what i have read and the peeps i've talked to it does seem to be a crap shoot on forced induction on a stock 496HO. Even the retailers i have talked to state to stay away from the 5psi models of any supercharger unless you upgrade the internals so i was just curious what the consensus might be for a smaller 3.5psi unit and reliability. I have 93 octance fuel available and dont rag my boat out. Just looking at the possibility of adding a little extra umph for occasional needs but mostly cruising at a desirable mph and rpm without holding the throttle down without major upgrades.

On another note, why would procharger and their retailers keep a product in production and sell it if it has such a bad rap in blowing up engines? Does anyone reprogram ECU's for procharger usuage? Just wondering. thanks
We do in fact offer a tune for the PC, but its based off larger injectors, getting rid of the FMU, 2 bar map sensor and a standard adjustable regulator. Works with 3-9psi of boost, although ideally suited for 4-6psi.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Registered

I would think that if 90% of 496's with a Procharger were grenading, this forum and a lot of other forums would be blowing up with people complaining. jmo
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
Obviously I am not running my boat as hard as I thought! I try to find a cove asap when One of my tanks is half empty lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.