Differences between Mobil 1 15W-50 and V-Twin 20W-50 >

Differences between Mobil 1 15W-50 and V-Twin 20W-50

Notices

Differences between Mobil 1 15W-50 and V-Twin 20W-50

Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phughes69
What are the real differences between Mobil 1 15W-50 and V-Twin 20W-50. I saw that advance has the V-Twin on sale. My application is a twin turbocharged carbureted BBC with a flat tappet hydraulic cam. Is there a better fully synthetic oil out there that is a little cheaper. It kinda stings when I think that a full oil change is going to cost me $180.00 a couple times a year. If I have to I will. I know the price to play, just trying to lessen the sting!!!
Well other than the fact that one is for your car and the other is for a motorcycle, I would guess other than the obviou (15w vs 20w) they would both work in your boat. I personally think the motorcycle oil would offer you more zinc and phophous than the auto stuff but you can't tell by looking at it.
You would have to do an elemental analysis on both oils when new.

With a flat tappet cam, I would run as much zinc as I could.

Is there a reason why you want to use a synthetic? There are some real good petroleum and petroleum/synthetic blends with high zinc levels.

Don't worry about using a motorcycle il in your car or boat, I have been doing it for 25+ years.

Ken