Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do you get engine hatch open with no power? >

How do you get engine hatch open with no power?

Notices

How do you get engine hatch open with no power?

Old 06-28-2002, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LIFT
Old 06-28-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

A chain saw??.....
Old 06-28-2002, 11:44 AM
Brad Perry

Default Don't forget to bring a siphon to get gas

to that chainsaw in case it's empty...and don't store it under the hatch!

Maybe I'm missing something, but you could pull the dash switch out that actuates the motors and apply power from somewhere else in the dash to activate the motor. I know you could not do this in a hurry. I'm not wild about the jumpers that baja puts under the rear seats because they go to the battery, not the hatch motors. Some failure modes of a battery are essentially a short and you would need a source strong enough to pull your battery under the hatch up as well an energize the motor. Behind the dash switch, you can get directly to the motor wires regardless of what state the battery is in. Of course, you don't want to store you tool bag under the hatch...

Old 06-28-2002, 04:53 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Scarab

I also have a scarab 1 my water temp wire come off lost weter temp went to check and hatch would not open . I have two wires run from the lift motor in the open only run to the back seat . I put power to the wires did not open turn out the motor was bad. I took out a screw from 1 of my speakers and used it as a punch screwdriver as a hammer took out the roll pin in the hinge then lifted the hatch got out my tool box fix the wire reinstalled pins went boating
Old 06-29-2002, 04:21 AM
Registered

try lifting the lid on a 42 excalibur you may need a backeeottomee after that.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can get to the switch under the dash you ought to be able to put a small set of jumper cables (like the one's on battery chargers) or connect a heavy gauge wire to the switch then to the jumper's. This is Not the best way, but it has worked for me in a pinch! Now I have a third battery mounted under the back seat.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

When I read your thread, I said to myself now that is a good question. I had to run down to the boat and see how I would get mine open. It turns out that the upper bracket is screwed to the engine cover with machine bolts. If you ever lost all power, remove the cushion and remove two screws, then you can open it by hand. Thanks for the thread.........

Mike
Old 06-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default I have a fix!

I few weeks ago I put a new radio and an amp in my boat. I ran the power for the amp from the fuse box in the dash. I figured that the fuse box had plenty of power. I was wrong. I was motoring along everything was good then we turned the radio up to hear it ofer the motor and everything went out. Motor quit lights went out(it was night). Everything was dead I had no power to the fuse box anymore. Long story short I yanked out the new amp wire in the dash and used it to reach from the bolts(hooked to the bat.) under the rear seat to the fuse box. Got the hatch up and reset the master breaker on the computer for the motor. After getting home I decided to put a switch under the seat that was directly connected to the battery and the hatch motor. Works great. Proved the battery has power. Realizing that I may some day get a dead battery. I also took the nut off the bottom bolt of the ram. Drilled a hole through the bolt and put on a hitch pin. A wire from the hitch pin going under the seat allows me to remove the pin. then a cable attached to the bolt head and ending under the seat allows me to pull the bolt. Which in turn allow the hatch ram to be free and Im in. It may seem like extra work for nothing when you are doing it. But if you ever need it ,it will be a life saver. in reality the switch is now useless. But since I did that first I will just leave it.
BTW. You have to pay the tow guy even if you get the boat running before he gets there. The rates a outragous. What are you gonna do though I called him and he was coming to get me in the middle of the night. Hope this will help everyone to avoid the situation I had.
John
95 Baja 272