trying to wake up from a 15 yr nap..... >

trying to wake up from a 15 yr nap.....

Notices

trying to wake up from a 15 yr nap.....

Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the very least the valve springs are shot and should be replaced, Seals are most likely shot from again, not being turned over and worked. All the rubber hoses, belts should be replaced even if they look good. As soon as they start to flex is wen the trouble will start. Cock pit vinyl is most likely dried out and will begin to break up when used again. I don't want to bust your bubble since it sounds like you've found the boat you want but anything that's sat for that long is going to need some MAJOR going over and it's what you don't see that will bite you on the ass. $6K sounds like a better starting price and I'm assuming it doesn't come with a trailer.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
I've got an interesting one for you, a co-worker has a 272, I believe it's an 89' with 320hp 350 MPI's in it. He swears they are original and that it was custom ordered that way (I didn't think they had MPI's back then). We were just talking last week about putting things away for the winter. Not sure the price he is looking to get for it in the spring, but I think it's lower than what you are talking. I know very little about the boat except when he's been tied up near me it always looks super clean and stored on a hoist.

I can ask him about it if you want. It's in S.E. Michigan.
yes they had it in 89,i forget the name that merc called it but this is what the intake looks like..
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mercr...80&tx=83&ty=89
Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a long nap. Valve springs are toast.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Have you ever removed fuel tanks from a boat like these?? Not exactly a sunday afternoon project.

I agree, the valve springs and seals would be replaced immediatly if I had it. Along with a lot of other little parts. Carb's prob need a freshen up too.

Alpha drives? :-(

I'd look for a updated, recently used and ran, big block bravo equipped model, and go boating. Trust me, you won't be saving a ton of money on gas with the small blocks.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

or find a big block bravo boat with tired power and put the small blocks of your choice in with drives you don't hafta worry about and resell the 454's as cores...
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
yes they had it in 89,i forget the name that merc called it but this is what the intake looks like..
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mercr...80&tx=83&ty=89

Pretty cool, never actually seen them before. He said they died pretty quickly since the 454/330 combo was basically the same price or cheaper. Either way it's a neat boat.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 10-29-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered

I paid 12 5 for mine

Hi, I don't know if this helps to know, but I paid 12 5 for my boat. It is a 1988 30' Chaparral Villian with twin 454's/bravo outdrives. And the trailer is a triple axle galvanized trailer
2006, barely used. The motors had approximately 360 hours on them. (not sure though). There was a small leaking problem, well it turned into a BIG LEAKING problem if you look at my post, however that was the only major problem. Actually prior to Labor Day weekend, other than some small issues, ie a bad relay, the motors ran very strong. Hope this helps. Basically not hearing the motors start tells me you have to assume the very worst. But if that is the case, I can come and help you pull em out!!!
the intereior of my boat was redone and is almost mint. And there isn't one scatch on the hull, mint!
Hopefully this can give you a good comparison!
Good luck!!
The only thing I hate about my boat is the rug color. it's muave. How can a color that is called "muave" be anything other than awful!!! Gotta rip that out for sure!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Registered

I can't say that a lot of what is mentioned here hasn't crossed my mind. Some new, and very valid, points here as well.

A quick note on why 350 Mags. PLease don't get me wrong...I am completely aware of and agree with the "no replacement for displacement" theory. My goal here is to get into the 272 SR1 that I wanted and could not afford at 17 and 18 yrs old, when Formula was building these things. I know this boat will handle 3-4s at a 45 mph cruise all day long comfortably. I'm not looking for a 70mph piece. An occasional 60mph shot is good with me. The fuel economy of small blocks is an added benefit of not needing to scream all over the lake-the thought make me smile but it's not what I need. Big motors in performance boats seem to take an rpm beating. They don't like 5500 to 6 grand for too long before they pop. So, considering the hours that most of these late 80's and early 90's big block boats have and not needing the speed, I decided on small blocks. It's ok if some folks don't agree with me on that...

I like the pricing window that all of you have suggested is what I should be paying for this boat, or a 272 SR1 in general. I have been all over the net and craigslist in what seems like just about every city this side of the Rockys (I'm in Cleveland, OH.) only to find prices in the high twenties up to high thirties. There is that occasional high teen boat, even with small block repower, but... damn...these things are rough in condition at best. It really has me baffled. That's why when by complete accident I ran into this boat locally and heard $12K and then was given it's history including the 286 hours, I began to put together a parts/price list.

I am able to do all the necessary work on the boat in a heated building over the winter, including
r&r on the fuel tank. What I DO NOT want to do is get into new motors. I would need to hear these things run before agreeing to buy.
Will the vinyl crack even after a good bath in a conditioner? I don't know. Will motor hoses crack and leak after running it for the first part of the season? I don't know.

The boat is currently on stands in a shop at a marina. I've crawled all over this thing checking most of what has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Someone mentioned "no trailer" and that is correct. $5k puts it on a new aluminum tri-axle. Now we're at $17k and it's not running yet. I'm guessing if the motors fire and run right with the above parts list (not including valve springs and seals on both motors) I would be on the water at about $20K. That still seems like good money as it relates to everything I've seen advertised. If I'm looking in the wrong places then someone PLEASE redirect me! Even the classifieds on this very site show listings to confirm this. Which is why I thought I may have found the right deal.

I'm long winded and I hope I didn't lose ya. I guess I'm still thinkn about it but wouldn't be opposed too look a little more at what's out there either........Thank you.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by deniseinmass
Hi, I don't know if this helps to know, but I paid 12 5 for my boat. It is a 1988 30' Chaparral Villian with twin 454's/bravo outdrives. And the trailer is a triple axle galvanized trailer
2006, barely used. The motors had approximately 360 hours on them. (not sure though). There was a small leaking problem, well it turned into a BIG LEAKING problem if you look at my post, however that was the only major problem. Actually prior to Labor Day weekend, other than some small issues, ie a bad relay, the motors ran very strong. Hope this helps. Basically not hearing the motors start tells me you have to assume the very worst. But if that is the case, I can come and help you pull em out!!!
the intereior of my boat was redone and is almost mint. And there isn't one scatch on the hull, mint!
Hopefully this can give you a good comparison!
Good luck!!
The only thing I hate about my boat is the rug color. it's muave. How can a color that is called "muave" be anything other than awful!!! Gotta rip that out for sure!
A very generous offer...thank you.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=motocop;3805028]I can't say that a lot of what is mentioned here hasn't crossed my mind. Some new, and very valid, points here as well.

A quick note on why 350 Mags. PLease don't get me wrong...I am completely aware of and agree with the "no replacement for displacement" theory. My goal here is to get into the 272 SR1 that I wanted and could not afford at 17 and 18 yrs old, when Formula was building these things. I know this boat will handle 3-4s at a 45 mph cruise all day long comfortably. I'm not looking for a 70mph piece. An occasional 60mph shot is good with me. The fuel economy of small blocks is an added benefit of not needing to scream all over the lake-the thought make me smile but it's not what I need. Big motors in performance boats seem to take an rpm beating. They don't like 5500 to 6 grand for too long before they pop. So, considering the hours that most of these late 80's and early 90's big block boats have and not needing the speed, I decided on small blocks. It's ok if some folks don't agree with me on that...

QUOTE]

For starters, a 272 Formula is not gonna be a boat you wanna go on lake Erie and run 3-4's on a regular basis. Formula makes a nice boat, but its still a 27ft boat. I took my old 241 Four Winns Liberator out on lake michigan 1 time. That was a very deep freeboard boat, lake was 3-4' true NOAA forecast seas, and I basically got beat up all day, soaking wet, and couldnt go more than 35mph.

In regards to your big block rpm theory, Im not sure what you mean. A twin 330HP 454 powered 272 Formula, which was the big block option of the day in that boat, is super reliable. A pair of 330hp stock 454's easily go 1000 hours in a boat like that.

In modified big blocks, trust me, here on oso, you will find plenty of guys spinning big blocks to 6000+ RPM, and not ''popping things.''

It seems that you pretty much made up your mind on the small block alpha boat, that is pretty much gonna need a bunch of work put into it, a trailer, and hope the engines and drives are ok. Its your money, if thats what you wanna do, go for it.

Chances are, to remove those fuel tanks, your gonna need to remove about all of the cockpit interior, including the back seat, the floor access panel, and get the chainsaw out to cut out all the foam around them. Then, reinstall and refoam in the tanks. Not sure i'd be looking to do all that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.