Procharging and boost referencing?

Notices

Procharging and boost referencing?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
Okay here are some pictuers of the pickup tube, and 90 degree elbow. The smallest part of the whole assembly is the long pickup tube section with the screen on it. It measures 1/2 inch O.D. Should I have a larger pickup butt welded to the bottom of the 90 degree fitting. Everything else it pretty big.
you will want to get away from the alunimum tube and go with a nylon one..those will break at the threads and fall in the tank and leave you floating..seen it many times..
Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple more..... is this big enough?
Attached Thumbnails Procharging and boost referencing?-imag0473.jpg   Procharging and boost referencing?-imag0476.jpg   Procharging and boost referencing?-imag0477.jpg  

Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at the hole inside of the aluminum square piece at the top of the tube. How big is that hole? That will be the smallest part. Also, when the blue adapter piece screws into the aluminum square, how much of the hole does it block off?

We just make our own from SS. I use a 3/8" NPT x #10 adapter and weld a SS tube to it that is 1/2" ID.
Attached Thumbnails Procharging and boost referencing?-fuel-pickup1.jpg   Procharging and boost referencing?-fuel-pickup2.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Look at the hole inside of the aluminum square piece at the top of the tube. How big is that hole? That will be the smallest part. Also, when the blue adapter piece screws into the aluminum square, how much of the hole does it block off?

We just make our own from SS. I use a 3/8" NPT x #10 adapter and weld a SS tube to it that is 1/2" ID.
USCG dont want any type of metal near the fuel tank..just saying..
Old 11-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered

Why? The tank is metal. The existing fitting attached to the tube is metal. I've seen tanks with metal tubes welded in them. I don't understand??? I'm certainly not trying to argue, but I just don't understand what you are saying. Do you have a link to a USCG reg where it states that? I would like to know since every boat I have ever worked on has had some type of metal on the tank pickup, so that means they are all going against CG regs.
Eddie
Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe my Fountain and buddys Cigs came with metal pickup tubes in the tank.

I do know that stainless braided fuel line is not USCG approved.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I believe my Fountain and buddys Cigs came with metal pickup tubes in the tank.

I do know that stainless braided fuel line is not USCG approved.
That is true about the braided hose. I either use Push Loc or braided nylon hose. I'm not aware of the other part.
Eddie
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 253 checkmate looks to have the same aluminum pickup he is showing....not sure if it came that way(procharger as well) but looks the same...
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

The problem with that standard fitting is that the tube cracks at the threads. The fuel is constantly beating on it and the root of the thread is a stress point. I cannot tell you how long it took to figure out the first time I ran into a cracked one - just enough to leak air.

I used to drill the fitting to slighty under the OD of the tube and use a piece of tubing with no threads. Made it a light press fit (polish the end of the tube if needed) and either loctite or epoxy the tube in. I am a firm believer in better living through chemistry (and I do not mean the mind altering kind)

I figured that was the best way to avoid any stress concentration. Never had one of those break. Ever
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie, how much for one of your pickup's? And do you put a screen on the bottom, or just leave them open. I figure by the time I source all the pieces and pay someone to weld it, I may as well just order one from you. Thanks Rob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.