Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ignition/Distributor upgrade? Little help... >

Ignition/Distributor upgrade? Little help...

Notices

Ignition/Distributor upgrade? Little help...

Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the merc thunderbolt4 is hardly cheep crap as you put it,i agree that with a captive discharge ignition like the msd 6 box the engine will idle cleaner due to the multiple spark,but that stops at 3000 rpm,then it produces 1 spark per firing cycle,same as the thunderbolt4.unless the engine is high compression or supercharged ,the thunderbolt4 will fire the plug just as good as the msd will,also,please explain to me how the ignition system has anything to do with the amount of fuel that enters the cylinder to make more power.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I will do that tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Likefastboats
Sorry for the multiple posts but what you guys are saying is really baffling me. With a hotter more controlled spark you will get a more complete burn of the fuel. More fuel burned, more horsies. Why would racers or any body for that matter spend money on high doller ignitions if cheap crap stock ones work just as good???? If what all you are saying is true MSD, Accel, Pertronix and all the others would be out of business.
as far as ignition goes, the motor needs what it needs and no more. if the stock ignition was sufficient for the air/ fuel/ compression ratio you have then MORE ignition buys you nothing at all... and for the record , as far as " stock cheap crap " goes, the factory ignitions in most case is a far better engineering and manufacture exercise than the vast majority of the aftermarket junk. in the "cheap crap" catagory MSD is the world leader. if you are going to run that junk i have only two words of advice...

carry spares
Old 04-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Registered

Is there a prefered coil to run with the TB4? And what is the difference between a TB4 and a V8-HP module?
Not to hijack the thread but I'm in the same "boat" as Chris the OP.
Thanks.

Last edited by CC230; 04-19-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best bang for the buck is a H/P version of the old style HEI, I get the vacume advance block off and the 2 wire ends to make the swap a snap...ran several of them, worked great everything less than $100..
Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
the best bang for the buck is a H/P version of the old style HEI, I get the vacume advance block off and the 2 wire ends to make the swap a snap...ran several of them, worked great everything less than $100..
Are you talking about old style automotive HEI
Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I use the Davis Unified Ignition distributor/coil they tune it for your motor/ boat. I have not had a lick of trouble out of them...
+1...great folks to work with....very high quality simple equipment.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

My engine builder has told me he has seen as much as a 40hp gain on the dyno with the MSD HVC II coils. My brother in law has done some work with Ford engineering on some special spark plugs that they gained 30hp from. I am of the theory that a larger, hotter, longer spark creates a bigger, faster, flame front and thus more power. When I was a kid and had a 14:1 go cart race engine running 14,000rpm just spark plugs made a huge difference. When it comes to horsepower, everything matters, no detail is to small to overlook. Remember in the words of Smokey Yunick, "It's easier to find 100 ways to make 1hp than it is to find 1 to make 100hp". As far as the factory stuff goes, you have to evaluate their goals verses your goals. Their CFO wields a bigger stick than ours (sometimes). Their goal is to get it done for the least cost, my goal is to get it done for the most gain. Just do a spec check, the current, dwell, and voltage coming out of a really good ignition system is significantly better than anything factory. Factory motors aren't designed around 10:1 compression running at 6,000rpm either. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

Smile

Originally Posted by mike tkach
bcfountain,unless you are burning methanol alcohol or nitro,you did not gain 37 hp by switching to msd ignition,if everything else was the same,the thunderbolt4 will make the same hp as the msd will.
never said anything about h/p numbers......starts,idles/runs smoother.msd
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
never said anything about h/p numbers......starts,idles/runs smoother.msd
sorry,it was likefastboats that said he gained 37 hp with the msd ignition,i am still waiting for him to post his back to back dyno sheets.i thought he was speaking for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.