Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ignition/Distributor upgrade? Little help... >

Ignition/Distributor upgrade? Little help...

Notices

Ignition/Distributor upgrade? Little help...

Old 04-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
maybe i will try a points dist from a 58 chevy as my 588s only have 8.5 compression ratio
you'll be fine as long as you run those coil's Joe B has and some projected tip plugs.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok boys and girls,let me clarify,i thought that likesfastboats was speaking for the op,i now see that is not the case but he somewhat hijacked the thread talking about his engines,that he failed to mention are supercharged so,will the op benefit from the addition of a msd ignition on his basically stock n/a engine,imo the answer is no,will likesfastboats supercharged engines benefit from the msd ignition,absolutely,as the boost goes up so does the difficulty to ignite the fuel in the cylinder,now the hotter spark can fire the plug and start the combustion cycle.if i did not believe the msd is necessary with the supercharged engine,i would not have them in my supercharged boats.i cant make it any more clear than that.now if anyone wants to tell me i am wrong,im all ears and always like to learn,so lets have the facts,just the facts please.
Ok I think we might be getting close to all being on the same page. I didn't mean to hijack the thread just want to tell of my reacent expierience with MSD's. "The thread's question was about ingition upgrades" And sorry I didn't mention my motors are blown, yes I agree that makes a big difference. I know the increases I saw are probably not typical or the norm. That's why I said I was "amazed" in my first post. Also I agree a NA motor will not see these gains from an MSD upgrade. Never the less I am a fan of MSD and do believe any engine would see some benefit from an upgraded ignition. Eaiser starts, smoother idle, better throttle responce and possibly a pony or two due to a more complete fuel burn. Sorry I got every one so rilled up. I didn't mean to turn the thread into one like the ever so popular SRW or Dually threads. The weekend is here so lets all go churn up some water and pollute the atmosphere a little more!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I was told a long time ago, there are many things you can go overboard with and ruin a engine's performance. Cylinder head size, camshaft size, carburetor size, etc. One thing you cant overdue is having a quality ignition system
Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

You are right. I know from expierience that all of the parts have to work together and compliment each other. That's where a lot of guys go wrong. Just upgrading one part ie: cam, carb, heads, etc. sometime will set you backwards instead of helping. But you really can't go wrong with a well timed hot spark.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

When do spark plugs become an issue, what I mean is when making changes to the rest of the ignition system does a change in plugs become necessary? If so, how? Not trying to hijack as they are part of the system too. Randy
Old 04-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Likefastboats
Ok I think we might be getting close to all being on the same page. I didn't mean to hijack the thread just want to tell of my reacent expierience with MSD's. "The thread's question was about ingition upgrades" And sorry I didn't mention my motors are blown, yes I agree that makes a big difference. I know the increases I saw are probably not typical or the norm. That's why I said I was "amazed" in my first post. Also I agree a NA motor will not see these gains from an MSD upgrade. Never the less I am a fan of MSD and do believe any engine would see some benefit from an upgraded ignition. Eaiser starts, smoother idle, better throttle responce and possibly a pony or two due to a more complete fuel burn. Sorry I got every one so rilled up. I didn't mean to turn the thread into one like the ever so popular SRW or Dually threads. The weekend is here so lets all go churn up some water and pollute the atmosphere a little more!!!
by the way what do you tow with drw or srw,lol,just kidding,its all good and just a misunderstanding,in the original post the op said he was short on cash because he just spent a lot of money on engine parts,i can totally relate and thats why i suggested that he stick with the thunderbolt 4 setup,why spend money on something you dont need,espically when money is tight.if he was running any type of power adder i would have suggested that he bite the bullet and upgrade his ignition,so at the end of the day,you and i might be on a different paragraph,but we are on the same page.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Registered

by the way what do you tow with drw or srw,lol,just kidding,its all good and just a misunderstanding,in the original post the op said he was short on cash because he just spent a lot of money on engine parts,i can totally relate and thats why i suggested that he stick with the thunderbolt 4 setup,why spend money on something you dont need,espically when money is tight.if he was running any type of power adder i would have suggested that he bite the bullet and upgrade his ignition,so at the end of the day,you and i might be on a different paragraph,but we are on the same page.
I tow with a dually, but we don't want to get that thread started again!!! LOL As far as the op goes you are right, for his setup the cost of going MSD is not necessary. I to understand about tight budgets. I know I've throw a lot more money at my boat than I really should have. But then this go fast boat thing is a very serious disease that most of us here on OSO can relate to. I know all of us wish we could get shot in the azz with gold nugets!!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Registered

most of the aftermarket distributors have roller bearings instead of sleeve bearings. old guy that tought me always ran 8 guage wire from block ground to cylinder head(s), told me made 6volt ignition more reliable, simple/cheap so always did it. well several years back turbo mag for rice burners does dyno test, good for 5hp back to back testing. i normally go up in ignition primary wire size also.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by CC230
Is there a prefered coil to run with the TB4? And what is the difference between a TB4 and a V8-HP module?
Not to hijack the thread but I'm in the same "boat" as Chris the OP.
Thanks.
I have tried an MSD coil with a TB4. No change in performance and the MSD dies after 2 years.

The TB4 uses a module to control the timing advance curve. The V8-HP module has about the best curve for a performance engine. It has 20* of advance all in by 3000rpms.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I have tried an MSD coil with a TB4. No change in performance and the MSD dies after 2 years.

The TB4 uses a module to control the timing advance curve. The V8-HP module has about the best curve for a performance engine. It has 20* of advance all in by 3000rpms.
hey.. wait a minute... what do you mean by posting a factual statement that contradicts all the mythology ,voodoo and bullsht . it has NO place in this discussion. careful . you can get banned for that sort of thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.