Notices

496 vs 540

Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I agree! I plan to run my big block with 22 degrees total timing. I am all about longevity. My engine builder told me back the timing down about 12-14 degrees, its real good for the exhaust valves he said.
Good Idea, but may I suggest timing your engine off of cyl #2, you will accomplish two things first your timing will be backed off, and your engine will run warmer to compensate for the cooler lake temps this season! Just sayin also as an added benefit you may be able to see your exhaust valves glow right through your heads.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
Good Idea, but may I suggest timing your engine off of cyl #2, you will accomplish two things first your timing will be backed off, and your engine will run warmer to compensate for the cooler lake temps this season! Just sayin also as an added benefit you may be able to see your exhaust valves glow right through your heads.
You really should induce a calculated amount of reversion to cool the glowing exhaust valves , no need to discolor the headers .

Last edited by the deep; 05-24-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a tall deck 396 with a 3.76 stroke and some peanut port heads. My max RPM I would like to spin is 4000. I have a 2 barrel rochester carb for it. Its gonna be 11.5:1 compression with an RV cam. I plan to run it on 87 octane with projected tip plugs, cast pistons, 210* water stat, and 39* of locked timing. Shooting for an air fuel ratio around 15:1, for good MPG. I am hoping for 650hp at 4000rpm. I really need the midrange cruise
I dunno how yer planning ta builda 396 tall deck and all. Startin wita 366? Ya, I know dem ol tall decks cantakealotta borin an all but'chya know I don't tink I'd be boring dem up ta a tree ninty six, dats takin abouta .160 outta da tin bored 366.
Ya could sleev'er run some off da shelf close chamber 396 pistons on a .400 longer rods to help out with your longevity issues, but at dat point' ya'd prolly be better starting wit a 427 tall deck, dey got ticker walls in'em. Ya know on the subjecta termostats using da stock truck intake you gets two thermostats! Ya can putta 160 in one side of da housing anda 210 in da udder. Den yer covered fer both seasons, post fire wood cuttin, and pre fire wood cuttin.

On da subject of carburation, I tink a center carb off a mopar 440 sick pack is sumtin like 7 hunderd cfms, dat wurk perty good too! My cousin squirrley eddie had one of dem carbs on jeep commando and lemme tell ya he could smoke all 4 tars on da pavement, it'd really trow back in the seat when he'd hitt're even with da plow on it!

Last edited by halfgassed; 05-24-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Notta gud spellar eh!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Cost effective bigger blowers if the bottom ends and engines are good. You could probably get by with a 250 setup if 625HP is main goal.
The guys that know blower engines will chime in and give you better info.
For the price a 671 IMO would be a better value and an intercooler wouldn't even be needed. Not sure if 250s would bolt to his intakes but that could save some cost if they did. You could really be cool and run higher compression with plenty of boost and E85
Old 05-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree! I plan to run my big block with 22 degrees total timing. I am all about longevity. My engine builder told me back the timing down about 12-14 degrees, its real good for the exhaust valves he said.
If you window the block and dry sump it it reduces windage. Helium filled rods are a good addition too...well worth the money.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm gonna be installing dual 4" electric superchargers I bought on Ebay for less than half the price of one of those ol-fashioned belt drive models.. Where can I get some matching electric blow-thru carbs? I really wanna do it right..
Old 05-26-2014, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

What are you guys thinking. Every single one of you forgot to suggest a couple of bottles of 104+ Octane boost. I gained 4 mph when I put that in my gas. Not to mention it turns my 87 octane into 104 race fuel, My engine also has the special 13:1 deep dish blower pistons as mentioned in an earlier post, nothing can touch my boat on my lake, it runs like a raped ape! Walmart has 104 on sale form time to time, best performance enhancer I ever did!