Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam >

Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam

Notices

Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam

Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also wondering if this might be a little bit that is getting sucked back on shutdown. My understanding is that this is when the risk of reversion is the highest. However, I would expect to just see the water in the one pipe that is sucking back.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Registered

Since pictures are worth a thousand words, here are a couple of shots of the engine on the cart. This is the first test when I had the silent choice diverters mocked up. When I started seeing water in the tubes, I switched back to the original divorced collectors that have an inner pipe that effectively extends the dry part of the pipe and extra 9 inches or so. No change in the water in the primaries.

And here is a picture of the water that is showing up in the tubes. Like I said, it's not a whole lot, and so far no sign of any water in the oil, but this is after just a minute or two of idling at 800 RPM:

Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Registered

Talked to Lightning, and he thinks it is reversion rather than condensation. He recommends using silicone in the joint where the inner pipe of the collector extension mates to the main collector. I will try that tonight.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Registered

He also said they don't generally recommend using any kind of muffled tips or mufflers with their headers, although he did say that it should be OK with my cam specs.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 AM
Registered

Here are a couple of pictures of the divorced collectors. As you can see, they have 4 or 5 holes in the tip about 3/8", and one in the bottom for water to come out. I was watching it run and it looks like a waterfall coming out of there. Seems like too much water to me. Might try to post a video of it running when I get my boogered up spark plug hole fixed (another story... )

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me for sure that the 5 holes go on top. Might have to call Lightning.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Thats quite a bit of water in there buddy. My tails are super short and I had a 'waterfall' in there too but as far as I know it never made it any farther than the collector getting all wet.
Either way I didn`t like it so I sealed up the water holes (slits in my case)with SIX10 and had a guy weld in a pisser just to keep the mufflers cool. 3/4" bungs inside and all water overboard.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Registered

What is SIX10? Thought about sealing up a couple of those holes and adding an exterior bung to the header collector to dump it overboard.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Registered

I still have my Y-pipe in there. Toying with using that to dump the excess water instead of drilling another hole through the hull.

Can't believe I'm even having to worry about this with that mild cam and Lightnings. Leave it to Budman to find yet another clusterfuq. They just seem to follow me like a stray dog.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you though about making the inner pipe longer?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fbc25el
Have you though about making the inner pipe longer?
Not really a good way to do that. Don't have the room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.