Valve cover removal with exhaust on? >

Valve cover removal with exhaust on?

Notices

Valve cover removal with exhaust on?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by big jing 2
I put 4" long bolts in end holes of manifold, if needed us Mr.Gasket gasket w/ sloted end holes Ken
Dam!! That would be so easy!!!! I can't believe i didn't think of that!!! I have valve tick I want to check out but have not wanted to pull the manifold again. It sucks ass. The 4" bolts would work perfect and no more humpping the manifold in and out! I will be inspecting that tick this weekend now! Thank you for the tip!!

I dont know how the hell these other guys are removing them with the manifolds on.... I tryed and it dose not work for me (502 mag efi). There is zero room to get to the middle bottom 2 bolts. I tryed and failed. Manifolds came off and was a *****. 78 lbs to hold up, then with your 3rd hand put the gasket in place and hold it. Then with your 4th hand getting a bolt started wile standing on you head.... It just sucked.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed two 3/8" studs in each head where there is room for a nut. It makes it much easier to install a heavy manifold or header without having to fumble around for bolt holes, and it also holds the gaskets in place. For headers that always seem to have the tight bolt that needs to be started first, I locate the header with the stud and install the nut a couple threads in. This holds it in place and allows you to wiggle the header while you get that tough bolt started. I can R&R a set of headers in about 2 minutes per side now! (Although I have been getting way too much practice with it lately. )

Last edited by Budman II; 06-06-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I put all stainless allen bolts in mine. I use a 3/16" 6" T-handle allen wrench with a ball end. I have never had an issue removing my valve covers with the manifolds on. (I run solid lifters so I need easy access to my rockers to verify lash)

Last edited by Rookie; 06-07-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Dam!! That would be so easy!!!! I can't believe i didn't think of that!!! I have valve tick I want to check out but have not wanted to pull the manifold again. It sucks ass. The 4" bolts would work perfect and no more humpping the manifold in and out! I will be inspecting that tick this weekend now! Thank you for the tip!!

I dont know how the hell these other guys are removing them with the manifolds on.... I tryed and it dose not work for me (502 mag efi). There is zero room to get to the middle bottom 2 bolts. I tryed and failed. Manifolds came off and was a *****. 78 lbs to hold up, then with your 3rd hand put the gasket in place and hold it. Then with your 4th hand getting a bolt started wile standing on you head.... It just sucked.
The other thing that we do is we cut the heads off of a couple of 4" long bolts. We rounded over the cut end to almost a point. When installing exhaust, we screw those in the ends of the head. They will guide the exhaust right in place, allowing you to start another bolt to hold it up. It makes it so much easier to start the exhaust on the bolts when they are sticking out a few inches. You can see what you are doing with it away from the head several inches.
Eddie