Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stupid cam shaft idea?  Serious question >

Stupid cam shaft idea? Serious question

Notices

Stupid cam shaft idea? Serious question

Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I may have you beat on stupid camshaft ideas after getting my stock mag billet cam reground for a little more lift and duration with my previous engine. Plenty of evidence on these forums of the carnage that resulted from that brain fart if you care to do a search.

Is this a Gen VI roller motor or a Mk IV / Gen V flat tappet motor? If it's roller, just find someone selling a low hour take-out mag cam and slip that in there. You will gain a little bit over that wimpy 330 cam without having to change much else in the valve train. And yes, the stock mag cam is pretty wimpy on its own, but not nearly as bad as the one they used for the 330 / 7.4L.

I found out the hard way that little incremental changes gain you very little in a boat - generally just more headaches. If you just like tinkering with it, then have at it, but if you like to keep your hatch down and actually enjoy running the boat, leave it stock or plan to spend some major money building it the right way with the right parts. And Bob M will be the first to say that buying used parts is usually "false economy", in his words. Often works fine in a hot rod car engine, but not so much in a marine engine that gets beat on. Good luck with the build.

Oh yeah, and every machinist knows that the CH order of fine measurements goes, from coarse to fine, Brunette, Blonde, Redhead, with the RCH being the finest and also most difficult to locate. They also typically come with the biggest attitude attached to them.