Oil pump thread >

Oil pump thread

Notices

Oil pump thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One of these will work[ATTACH=CONFIG]533137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]533138[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]533139[/ATTACH]

I ran stock melling high volume oil pump with valve spring oilers with out a problem.
High volume oil pump at 70lbs will put the same amount of oil in the top end as a low volume oil pump at 70lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Oil pump thread-035.jpg   Oil pump thread-013.jpg   Oil pump thread-024.jpg  

Last edited by 14 apache; 11-24-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

16 - .040" holes is only .020 sq in. That's not much flow area. Like about a single 5/32" hole.

Last edited by Cole2534; 11-24-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole2534
16 - .040" holes is only .020 sq in. That's not much flow area. Like about a single 5/32" hole.
I ran no restrictors with the valve covers in the picture. Just had some big chief valve covers done with spring oilers by blp. If some one wants me to check the orifice on my new valve covers let me know.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Force
what main clearence you running?
tim i reallly dont remember ,,i built the engine way back in 1997 and havny touched it..it does have high dollar goodies in it..i spent 6500 just on the short block...0003 sounds rite..i like to run a little loose clearances,when the engine get hot you know how sh!t can expand..
Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
tim i reallly dont remember ,,i built the engine way back in 1997 and havny touched it..it does have high dollar goodies in it..i spent 6500 just on the short block...0003 sounds rite..i like to run a little loose clearances,when the engine get hot you know how sh!t can expand..
I was curious... I had issues with .003 and 55 psi that's all other factors come in play just wondered
Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

So what is the main issue with running the Melling Anti-Cavitation pump that you have found? I installed a SP/HV version on my 540. Seems I have plenty of oil volume, but the pressure is a little low for my liking by the time it goes through the external system, so I was going to put the high pressure spring in. Electronic gauge says 45 PSI hot (20 idle) at filter boss port and cheapie mechanical gauge at front oil galley port says 50 psi hot. Oil pressure maxes out at 3000 rpm and does not climb as I increase rpm. I selected the anti cav pump because I will be turning a few more RPM than most (6300 peak/6500 limiter).
Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
So what is the main issue with running the Melling Anti-Cavitation pump that you have found? I installed a SP/HV version on my 540. Seems I have plenty of oil volume, but the pressure is a little low for my liking by the time it goes through the external system, so I was going to put the high pressure spring in. Electronic gauge says 45 PSI hot (20 idle) at filter boss port and cheapie mechanical gauge at front oil galley port says 50 psi hot. Oil pressure maxes out at 3000 rpm and does not climb as I increase rpm. I selected the anti cav pump because I will be turning a few more RPM than most (6300 peak/6500 limiter).
Not sure about you, but i don't warm the oil in boats with a heating element on the pan, fire it up let it idle, go out through the no wake zone , and then when the oil temp starts to come up, bring it up on plane and run it. Then come off plane and idle through the harbor to your destination. Way too much time to be staring at a gauge showing 10 lbs or less oil pressure for me.
I will say that engine had tight bearing clearances, and the bearings were in very good shape.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Not sure about you, but i don't warm the oil in boats with a heating element on the pan, fire it up let it idle, go out through the no wake zone , and then when the oil temp starts to come up, bring it up on plane and run it. Then come off plane and idle through the harbor to your destination. Way too much time to be staring at a gauge showing 10 lbs or less oil pressure for me.
I will say that engine had tight bearing clearances, and the bearings were in very good shape.
Same here. I go easy on it until the temps start to rise, otherwise I would be idling around all day until oil temps warm up. My oil temps are not an issue whatsoever. They are in a perfect range and the thermostat works just as it should. My engine has clearances right along the lines that have been mentioned in this thread, nothing exotic or experimental. I have the motor on the stand right now and I will pull a couple caps off to see how bearings are doing when I change my pump pressure spring. Heck, for all I know I could have a faulty gauge sender. I get max of 60 psi cold on that gauge.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Oil pressure has always; seemed to be open for discussion. If testing a pump, with a gauge in a bath of oil gives you a reading of 65-70 psi, you have to remember that is at the pump. The reading say at the upper oil galley at top of block will be slightly lower. This is going to come from a decrease in volume, which results in lower pressure.
If you speak with a crankshaft manufacturer or one of the engineers, they will still go by the old school method of 10 psi for every 1000 rpm. When you look at the engineering aspect from the bearing manufacturer, the theory changes. The oil and bearing along with the location and design of the crankshafts oil galley, are going to determine the hydrodynamic wedge created between the crank journal and bearing surface. Oil temperature, bearing clearance, and the straightness of the bearing bore ( Main bore straightness in block ) are going to determine how straight the crank rides on bearing. The deflection and rpm of the engine are other factors to consider when setting up bearing clearances along with the viscosity of the oil you will be using.
I have run 54 psi oil pressure in BBC at 6000 rpm, using a Schumann oil pump and having the relief set at 75 psi at the pump incorporating a external .500 relief check ball. That is with 50 wt Redline Synthetic Racing oil, now keep in mind the mains are at .0032, rods at .0026. If I was to tighten the mains up about .0005, that would have a great affect on the oil pressure over all. The oil temp once above 140 will drastically change oil pressure only due to it's flow capabilities, oil must flow and flush the bearing in order to not overheat or scuff the bearing or crank.
Running a high oil pressure not only creates parasitic drag, it excessively loads the distributor gear, cam gear, and shaft housing and bearings in the distributor. High oil pressure also creates spark-scatter, in extreme cases also add the load on the timing chain.
I'm sure all of you know; the oil has to have ample pressure for supplying the mains, rods, cam and lifters, with it's final destination of lubricating the rocker arms and cooling the valve springs. Sucking the oil pan dry and filling the top end of the engine with oil would mean the oil isn't returning fast enough or the oil pan is way too small. Crankshaft windage and pan design are also going to greatly affect oil return and if it is aerated, causing failure of bearings with air pockets mixed in pressurized oil.
So don't be set on having high oil pressure as your safety factor in a build. You could have high pressure and still wipe your bearings out or you could have lower pressure and have like new bearings the next time you freshen up the engine.
Mark, great info as usual. Question for you, or anyone with knowledge in this area, slightly off topic. But, what do you think of the components here in Icdedppl's shortblocks?

540ci
Mark IV bowtie block
Eagle H beams with 8740 bolts
Iron Main caps with standard bolts, non splayed
Eagle Crank 4.250
900HP 6000RPM roots blown engines.

My gut would want to go thru the bottom ends, and minimum go with better rod bolts, possibly main studs or billet caps. I personally more worried about that than the oil pressure. Is there a legit concern here?
Old 11-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
Here is a link for Schumann oil pumps. They have quite a few features melling does not. The most important one being an external bypass vs reverting the bled off oil backwards down the pickup. Mark Rinda uses quite a few of these pumps. He recommended I give one a try, so I bought the 140HV series. Specifically states it can be used with external coolers and spring oilers. Ships with a rated pressure of 72psi, however you can increase pressure to suite your needs with a spring/shim kit that Vern sends with the pump. Also had a provision for my Dan Olson oil pickup, and a copper gasket for the sealing surface where the pump mates to the rear main cap.

http://www.schumannsdynamicperforman...-oil-pump.html
Looks like a nice pump. Price is reasonable too.

Did you fire up that 496 yet? What did you end up going with as far as clearances on the mains/rods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.