Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ???

Notices

Removing Silent Choice Exhaust ???

Old 12-01-2014, 07:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatguy66
Correct the silent choice for sure do not remove!Unless you crawl down canals @900 rpm??Good selling feature also can't see a boat that nice without them!I wired mine open once did not help at all?I replaced flappers&pitch done problem solved
Not sure I'm following what you're saying. I understand the part about not removing the silent choice but I'm not sure what you're saying you did to correct the problem??
Old 12-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pslonaker
Here is a friends boat with the rubber cap over the Y pipe. The rubber cap is still there today.
I did basically the same thing with my Silent Choice diverters, but I also ran some stainless screws through the boots into the plug, along with some clear silicone to make sure they stayed sealed and could not slip out of place. So far no problems with them. I don't run in big water, so haven't been real worried about a Y-pipe breaking off. Maybe you could fabricate a support bracket that could bolt to the back of the block or slip over the pipes if you run in the big water.

I have seen where some guys actually run a ball valve with a y-pipe for the seawater pumps so that the pumps could be made to act as an emergency bilge pump. That seawater pump can move a lot of water - might not be a bad safety factor to have if you run a long ways offshore.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not be comfortable with capping it off. Seems like a good way to end up with your boat sitting on the bottom of the lake/ocean.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

capping them would not be a big deal and if you are concerned about the breaking off, just fab up a bracket over to something to support it till the engines come out and remove the Y-pipe, most are just hooked with a rubber hose anyway so would not need anything to trick..
Old 12-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by racinfast002
I would not be comfortable with capping it off. Seems like a good way to end up with your boat sitting on the bottom of the lake/ocean.
I'm not either. I'm sure for many it has been fine and in all likelihood probably would be fine for me too... But, during the season we're out in the ocean at a minimum of once a week... last season we came down so hard off a wave one time that my refrigerator busted off it's mounts through the cabinets and came flying out. In the unlikely event that one or both of those pipes broke loose, I don't think we'd be afloat for long with all that weight in the back... knowing it could be a problem is enough.. and my mechanic said he'd pull my engines for a very reasonable "winter price", so that's the route I'm going. Plus, it will be nice to get access to clean stuff up with the engines out...
Old 12-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could probably pay him to pull your engines and install a block off plate for about the cost of a half tank of gas for that thing.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

Question that pops up in my head tonight...

Why would a 525 have issue with water reversion while running silent, meaning the thru hull exhaust are blocked, diverting the pressure in the y pipe, making the exhaust go out from only one hole in the transom plate, and a lets say newer MTI that comes standard from the mold, with only one big hole below the transom plate, for the exhaust to exit below water 100% of time, except on plane of course, and they run big cam engines im sure, and they dont have problem with reversion...

What is different with these animals that avoid water reversion?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are borderline on reverting at idle, when running thru silent choice picks up the water very easily out of the Y-Pipe, have to remember that the water is at the water line of your boat in the Y-Pipe while sitting or moving slow(found this out the hard way) so until you get moving to get the water out of there it's traps a lot of water in the pipe and thus making it even more prone to reverting...
Old 12-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

So, those million dollars brand new boat are also fighting against reversion... Sad reality then...
Old 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jeff32
Question that pops up in my head tonight...

Why would a 525 have issue with water reversion while running silent, meaning the thru hull exhaust are blocked, diverting the pressure in the y pipe, making the exhaust go out from only one hole in the transom plate, and a lets say newer MTI that comes standard from the mold, with only one big hole below the transom plate, for the exhaust to exit below water 100% of time, except on plane of course, and they run big cam engines im sure, and they dont have problem with reversion...

What is different with these animals that avoid water reversion?
I have never used the silent choice, EVER... The reversion is not from using the Silent Choice, it's the actual setup that is the problem. Because there is a hole in the bottom of the tail for the water / exhaust to flow down the Z-pipe that connects to the Y-pipe, the water dump is too far forward and the water is entering the exhaust stream too close to the collector. At idle, the engines are on the verge of reverting and with the water that close it makes it a lot easier.. Again, the use of Silent Choice is NOT the problem, it's the exhaust configuration that is causing it. I am having dry tails made that eliminate the silent choice and put the water dump 2" from the tip of the exhaust. This is going to move the water dump at least 12-15" further back and far away from the collector on the header..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.