Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Morel 4603 lifter noise >

Morel 4603 lifter noise

Notices

Morel 4603 lifter noise

Old 03-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

from what i understand they test the lifters with a lite weight hyd oil,it is still in them when they leave the factory.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
In the March 4th article here on OSO called; "Teague on Tech Revisited: Oil, Gears and a Combination Game" I read that even Bob Teague included Johnson lifters as one of the hydraulic roller lifters in his suggestion of lifters...

"Use Johnson Lifters or other high quality lifters that utilize the tie bar design in either generation engine."
Go on the Teague website look under valve train , they show multiple lifter manufactures only stock two gaterman or Johnson , nothing else in stock.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

http://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011/lifters.html
Old 03-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Registered

any feedback on the gaterman or shaver lifters.way cheaper than the johnson,s but i believe that you get what you pay for.i think i am pretty much done using morel,s.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Really kinda stinks Crane's lifters and roller rockers have seemingly gone by the wayside.

The small block world is blessed in the sense that they can use the $120 set (edit in: last I checked) of GM's LS7 hydraulic rollers (dog bone style) and beat the snot out of them. Gen II, Gen+ and LS has these available to them.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:34 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
from what i understand they test the lifters with a lite weight hyd oil,it is still in them when they leave the factory.
Thanks, I remember seeing that too. I'm gonna do more digging. There seems to me multiple threads on like 20+ websites about ticking and other issues from the Morels. When I have time, I'll do some snooping on multiple things.

I do know some versions had problems with oiling to the top end and people had to engrave small lines from oil hole to oiling band. Some versions have the oil hole's entrance partially or fully into the oil band. So....this is something to to check out.

Anybody have a picture of the current BBC lifters (high rpm and the next highest model) showing this regard ? Only set of Morel BBC hr lifters I used was 8-10yrs ago ??? so I don't remember this.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Well it looks like I'm not the only one suffering the morel blues. Guess I will have to suck up the lifter tick at cold until I decide to pony up more dough and change them out...kinda blows given they are 15 hours old.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Registered

the noise does not bother me,but when they colapse within 1 minute of startup with 5w30 oil i froun.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 PM
SB
Registered

Okay the grease is just in the wheel bearings...but, this brings up something else.

As I was looking around, I saw that Morel's instructions says not too clean out wheels and lifter bodies...just wipe clean with lint free cloth and oil down the bodies and the wheel.

Well, when I got mine, they where in brown box and no instructions. I did what I normally do.....clean the grease out of the wheels and soak lifters in cleaner. Then blow brake clean thru the oil hole. I stop when the crud stops coming out, air dry (doesn't take long) and then drop all of them in a bucket of oil over night.

Interesting as Morel's instructions tells you straight out not to do any of what I did, but all lifter companies that I had dealt with in my lifetime say to do what I did.

Any of you guys that have the noise issues follow Morels instructions or did you prep them the normal lifter way like I did.

Again, mine would just have some quick clatter when started up after sitting for say a day or two or more, but would quiet down real quick. Nothing abnormal I felt.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I've been running my morels since 2012, and the only time I had any noteable noise from them, was when they didn't have 1 full turn past zero lash. I have 2 sets of them going, and icdedppl has two sets, neither sets are noisy.

My engines are apart right now making some changes, and I'm seriously considering ordering the new ISKY 9375 non needle bearing bushed style Hyd lifters. I like the idea of getting away from the needle bearings.

http://iskycams.com/cart/index.php?m...ndex&cPath=109

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.