Carburetor to EFI conversions >

Carburetor to EFI conversions

Notices

Carburetor to EFI conversions

Old 05-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetor to EFI conversions

Does anyone have any experience with swapping out carbs to one of those bolt on replacements (i.e. MSD atomic, FAST EZ, Holley, Edelbrock, etc)? I've got a '83 Scarab with a pair of mildly built 454's putting out around 450 hp each...i just feel like they would run a lot better on efi along with the MSD ignition over the old Thunderbolt IV stuff. I have custom marine headers and was curious if the water in the exhaust would mess with the O2 sensors. I've sent emails to a couple of the companies listed above without response...any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tons of information in this thread. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-everyone.html

Only a little over 400 posts to read

To answer one of your questions, the O2 sensor needs to be mounted so it is not exposed to any water. Most guys are running dry to the tip exhaust or the water enters the exhaust right before it exits the pipe.

I am making the switch from carb to EFI this fall, looking forward to smooth idles and stable RPM when shifting in and out of gear!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:26 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Space Toast
Does anyone have any experience with swapping out carbs to one of those bolt on replacements (i.e. MSD atomic, FAST EZ, Holley, Edelbrock, etc)? I've got a '83 Scarab with a pair of mildly built 454's putting out around 450 hp each...i just feel like they would run a lot better on efi along with the MSD ignition over the old Thunderbolt IV stuff. I have custom marine headers and was curious if the water in the exhaust would mess with the O2 sensors. I've sent emails to a couple of the companies listed above without response...any advice would be appreciated.
EFI is nice but it's also a lot of money, especially when you're doing 2. Maybe one of the salesmen will tell you different but I don't think you will see a huge change going from a well tuned carb to EFI. An 02 sensor is a great addition to any performance engine, it would help you dial in your carb or EFI, but don't get it wet.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

If your going to do it yourself contact Haxby on here, he has good prices plus can help you navigate thru all the set up.