Who has had issues with afr heads?? >

Who has had issues with afr heads??

Notices

Who has had issues with afr heads??

Old 06-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i tore an engine apart yesterday,i was amazed at two mistakes i found.the engine was built by a high quality shop so i guess anyone can make mistakes.
The irony
Old 06-02-2015, 03:18 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

I was installing a BRAND NEW replacement long block from Chevrolet for a 94 Chevy K1500. About an hr or so from completion, another mechanic whom I didn't get to along with that well with walked by an laughed. This was actually his 2nd or third time walking by and laughing. I finally confronted him this last time and asked waht was up. He pointed at the driver side cylinder head and said "where are the spark plugs ?" I said " I install those last" as I normally did/do. He walked off laughing. I was majorly like "WTF !"

Well, I get to the point of putting plugs in. Passenger side first and then the...uhhhhhh.....WTF !

Driver side was never machined for spark plugs. No holes even. "Really ?"

Yup, he wasn't making up his laughing. We was a Mopar Tech, so it was even funnier to him to see a Chevy guy get bit in the azz straight from Chevy.

Who would have figured ?

Off all things to fubar !
Old 06-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I was installing a BRAND NEW replacement long block from Chevrolet for a 94 Chevy K1500. About an hr or so from completion, another mechanic whom I didn't get to along with that well with walked by an laughed. This was actually his 2nd or third time walking by and laughing. I finally confronted him this last time and asked waht was up. He pointed at the driver side cylinder head and said "where are the spark plugs ?" I said " I install those last" as I normally did/do. He walked off laughing. I was majorly like "WTF !"

Well, I get to the point of putting plugs in. Passenger side first and then the...uhhhhhh.....WTF !

Driver side was never machined for spark plugs. No holes even. "Really ?"

Yup, he wasn't making up his laughing. We was a Mopar Tech, so it was even funnier to him to see a Chevy guy get bit in the azz straight from Chevy.

Who would have figured ?

Off all things to fubar !
You should have taken pictures of that one.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
This is not a problem with the heads , it's normal procedure to clearance the valve guides for the end users intended purpose . AFR tells us on their website and in the literature that comes with your heads to do this .
If I made it sound like it was a problem from AFR, I certainly didn't intend to. Wesseldyk always checks valve guide clearances and tweeks them in if he feels he has to on any head when he builds engines...it's just part of his MO and protocol.

I am in no way saying anything against AFR, I think they're great heads.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 385 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
If I made it sound like it was a problem from AFR, I certainly didn't intend to. Wesseldyk always checks valve guide clearances and tweeks them in if he feels he has to on any head when he builds engines...it's just part of his MO and protocol.

I am in no way saying anything against AFR, I think they're great heads.
I was referring to the title of this thread . Just didn't want someone to think there is a problem where there isn't one . If we don't check all clearances then the onus is on us when things turn to chit .
Old 06-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good evening guys, Tim Torrecarion with AFR here. Let me start out with saying Tim (FullForce) we sympathize with your situation and hope you can get back out on the water soon!

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Originally Posted by the deep
Ok guys , I had my builder check the valve guide clearances on my new AFR 315's . Clearances were .0018 and will be opened up a bit . Now for the kick in the azz , my heads were assembled DRY Tim bought his heads about the same time I did sooooooo come to your own conclusion . I posted this because it was the ethical thing to do to maybe save another brother from heartbreak . Also checked the coding on my springs when I received the heads simply because there was ZERO documentation that they were changed out to what I ordered , they were correct . What the hell's going on at the AFR plant that they would ship out a set of $3100.00 + heads assembled phucking DRY . I tend to leave NOTHING to chance but did not expect this !!!!!
Mine are dry also. I've seen this trend not only with AFR's also Brodix.
AFR heads are assembled with Synthetic Mobil 30w oil and a minimum amount of oil is needed to lubricate the valve so it might not always be dripping with oil. As always anything is possible though which is why we are here for you guys!

If you need anything our Customer Service Technicians are all qualified in high performance engine builds/AFR products and can help you with any questions or issues you may have. At the end of the day your satisfaction is our #1 priority. Phone: 877-892-8844

You can also reach me directly by email [email protected] if there is anything else you need assistance with. Just as a heads up I will be out at the Super Summit Show this weekend and returning to the office on Monday.

Have a great weekend all!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Just so everyone is clear I started this thread to show there have been little to know issues with afr heads not a widespread dilemma
Old 06-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Just so everyone is clear I started this thread to show there have been little to know issues with afr heads not a widespread dilemma
Well now you brought a big dawg into this! LOL
Old 06-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim@AFR
Good evening guys, Tim Torrecarion with AFR here. Let me start out with saying Tim (FullForce) we sympathize with your situation and hope you can get back out on the water soon!

AFR heads are assembled with Synthetic Mobil 30w oil and a minimum amount of oil is needed to lubricate the valve so it might not always be dripping with oil. As always anything is possible though which is why we are here for you guys!

If you need anything our Customer Service Technicians are all qualified in high performance engine builds/AFR products and can help you with any questions or issues you may have. At the end of the day your satisfaction is our #1 priority. Phone: 877-892-8844

You can also reach me directly by email [email protected] if there is anything else you need assistance with. Just as a heads up I will be out at the Super Summit Show this weekend and returning to the office on Monday.

Have a great weekend all!
Thanks bud, your company has been extremely good to work with and I will use afr heads again in the future.

I will have my replacement head next week and my machinist is setting heads up my application in the Great Lakes.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

tim,is afr giving you a head for free?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.