Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Who has had issues with afr heads?? >

Who has had issues with afr heads??

Notices

Who has had issues with afr heads??

Old 05-29-2015, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts
Default Who has had issues with afr heads??

We know what's going on with full force but all bs aside, who has had issues with afr heads? Who has had out of the box problems? Is there a wide spread problem or an isolated incident?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:12 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
We know what's going on with full force
Do we ?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:13 AM
Registered

We know he had a failure, with yet to be determined causes.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Jamie, all smart azz bullchit aside, I have talked with a few builders who have said they always have to size the guides in their out of the box AFR heads. I have also heard of a few afr heads that recently needed to be welded up due to seized valve issues. But, that won't be posted on oso. personally would not run any head out of the box, without checking clearances, valve job, concentricity, etc. These heads are not cheap castings money wise, and just don't trust anyones head out of the box.

I highly doubt guys like Eddie Young, Richie Zul, Tommy Hoffstetter, Bob Teague, sterling, etc, are bolting on cylinder heads as they come shipped from manufacturer's. Whether it be dart, afr, brodix, etc.

My friendly advice to anyone buying heads from any manufacturer, would be to have them checked out. It doesnt cost a lot of money to have a shop size the guides, and check them out before bolting on the engine. Today, everyone loves making big power, and it's easy to do so. 20 years ago, a 750HP build would have been gone over like it was gonna be powered a nasa space shuttle. Today, guys are slapping 750's together like they are 1976 station wagon motors.

In no way shape or form, do i think afr has quality issues. They are a great head and a good price. But, even when the manufacturer tells you, that you need to size the guides on our assembled heads when you recieve them, I'd say , you might wanna size the guides. There is no bullchitting from them, they are very clear on that, and I applaud them for supplying that information, both on their site, and in their emails to customers.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 05-29-2015, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Its NOT Afr....

Its ANY high performance part that goes together without being checked

Along with INCORRECT instructions from an engine designer!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

personally I think the head manufactures say to size the guides so they don't have a law suite against them its there out if something goes wrong. And they can make a mistake on sizing and they are covered. I don't think they should sell them assembled if that's the case.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Registered

Yep kinda defeats the purpose of buying assembled heads. And drives the expense even higher. I hope people see this and realize why a build is so expensive. I didn't start this to point blame or bash, just so people know if there is a big problem or what?? Joe thanks for the info and I did receive paperwork with all afr heads saying to verify guide clearance to your application.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Every set of AFR heads we have ever installed or sold has needed the guides opened up. Despite being "bolt on ready" every part and clearance needs to be checked EVERY time, plain and simple. It seems that some of my personal frustrations as a professional engine builder are starting to be seen by a larger percentage of the general population.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to ask. If "Every" installed set of AFR's had to have the guides opened up. Just exactly was the out of the box clearance? And if you open them up what are they being opened up to? I ask out of curiosity not to start an argument. When we measure 2 intake and 2 exhaust we got .0018 across the board. We re-checked this measurement a bunch of times even re-calibrated the gauge cause it didn't seem right to us that they all came up the same. At this point I asked the guy that built my friends motor with new out of the box Brodix heads of he measured the guide clearance. He said most of them were .0013 but a few got up to .0017. He left them what they were from Brodix and explained to me he likes to see them under .0015 and thought the AFR's were a little on the loose side. I was happy with the clearance and don't plan on touching what was measured so far. My only complaint with the AFR's is my T&D stands didn't bolt right on. There was roughly .010 of casting that had to be addressed which was no big deal and who's fault was that really. I don't know what kinds of experiences you guys have building motors but for me it always seems like it's an uphill battle. Nothing ever fits the grinder always comes out (never gets put away really). But it is what it is. I've probably put my new bottom end together 20-30 times at this point and its sitting completely apart right now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.