Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Who has had issues with afr heads?? >

Who has had issues with afr heads??

Notices

Who has had issues with afr heads??

Old 06-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it looks like I have the Pioneer springs. I was under the impression that I had the PAC springs in my setup. Hopefully they are a decent spring, I guess it's good that my engine will only see about 5300 RPM at the top end rather than 6K plus.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no basis other than what my builder told me, but he said the pioneer springs were no good in his experience, and don't belong on anything over stock application. When he thought that mine may have been pioneer he said they had to be changed. I called Bob and he said that they were ordered with PAC Racing hydraulic spring, so I confirmed with AFR in detail as you saw that I posted. AFR went away from them for a reason. When did you place the order for your heads?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Teague marine is an oso advertiser too. He sells Afr heads that are truly marinized and machined. They will sell them bare, or custom to your engine . they are a little more than a automotive head with an inconel valve thrown in.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/n...ine-heads.html
Old 06-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ealesh33
I have no basis other than what my builder told me, but he said the pioneer springs were no good in his experience, and don't belong on anything over stock application. When he thought that mine may have been pioneer he said they had to be changed. I called Bob and he said that they were ordered with PAC Racing hydraulic spring, so I confirmed with AFR in detail as you saw that I posted. AFR went away from them for a reason. When did you place the order for your heads?
I ordered them in May 2013.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Teague marine is an oso advertiser too. He sells Afr heads that are truly marinized and machined. They will sell them bare, or custom to your engine . they are a little more than a automotive head with an inconel valve thrown in.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/n...ine-heads.html
Are you sure of this?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Are you sure of this?
Call them. Ask for Eric.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Call them. Ask for Eric.
No thanks, not interested in the story telling. Call and ask him about their welder and their engineered fittings. Maybe you will get the story about all the stainless tubing they have / engineer that gets sent to Japan because Japan doesn't have any stainless mills. Then when you receive their "engineered" fitting that their welder made it has a nice (made in China) stamping on it. I don't know maybe they have a shop overseas as well. they don't have a machine shop. So do they send the heads to their shop in China for machining? I don't know. They very well may have heads with extra work done to them but until a reputable resource confirms this I'm skeptical.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I ordered them in May 2013.
Then yes they were still using the pioneer spring then, believe he said mid 2014(July or August) is when they stopped using them, and unloaded all of their inventory of the pioneer spring september or october of 2014. The only reason I say is, i sent a photo to several people of the my PAC racing spring with the green stripe and simply asked if they thought the stripe was green or blue. I got a 50/50 response lol. And I can see how people would say blue, its kind of a blueish green lol. So was thinking maybe yours may actually be green, but the pioneer was an option when you got your heads. When my builder told me about this situation, if it wasn't the PAC spring we were going to change them, and use the isky tool room spring
Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Wesseldyk had to fit/hone/ream the valve guides on my brand new out of the box AFR's to what he believes is correct for a hi-perf marine engine---anyway, I'd rather burn a little oil vs getting a valve stuck
Old 06-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Wesseldyk had to fit/hone/ream the valve guides on my brand new out of the box AFR's to what he believes is correct for a hi-perf marine engine---anyway, I'd rather burn a little oil vs getting a valve stuck
This is not a problem with the heads , it's normal procedure to clearance the valve guides for the end users intended purpose . AFR tells us on their website and in the literature that comes with your heads to do this .

Last edited by the deep; 06-02-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.