Let the guessing game begin as what broke in 502 mag EFI >

Let the guessing game begin as what broke in 502 mag EFI

Notices

Let the guessing game begin as what broke in 502 mag EFI

Old 06-01-2015, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i knew if anyone could diagnose the problem by looking at the plugs it would be you,lol.
Sorry but if I pulled a plug out of a motor that had peppering first thing I would do is pull out the compression tester. Wouldn't you?
The following users liked this post:
mcollinstn (10-21-2021)
Old 06-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

That ticking you heard beforehand could be a diverter in the Corsa exhaust.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Sorry but if I pulled a plug out of a motor that had peppering first thing I would do is pull out the compression tester. Wouldn't you?
i see no signs of a lean cylinder so a broken forged piston is not likely,a borescope through the plug hole would be what i would do if i thought it had detonated a piston.mpi engines can and do have injector issues from time to time and if nothing gets done to correct the bad injector bad things can happen.the op said it was still running fine just making noise so i would rule out other problems before i pulled the engine out.edit in,i see no peppering,only carbon build up but without close inspection with a magnifying glass i would not see it anyway.

Last edited by mike tkach; 06-01-2015 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mcollinstn (10-21-2021)
Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have seen them knock from a bad sparkplug wire..called spark knock...should have pulled plug wire one by one until the knock went away,,if it did not then its not a rod bearing..
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

bb,not being a smart azz but this is not a nitrous deal,jmo.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Plug to the right of the top left has some slight peppering on it. I'm gonna guess broken piston. Do a compression test on that (better yet all) cylinders. And or hammered Rod/main bearing.
Top 4 plugs are from the Odd side bank( slightley different debris on thme) . Top left and right plugs are from Cyl # 5 & 7

Originally Posted by Full Force
A sid "knock" is more often a spun bearing and the rod beating crank, but like Mike T said it could be many things.

Heads been done before? Could be non inconel and exhaust valve broke and beat things up, but that pretty much always messes a plug up, I broke one it was a clean break went right out exh without barely damaging anything...
Yep heads were redone 2 years ago 87 hrs accordign to hour meter. Valves checked out fine and were re cut and reused.

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
That ticking you heard beforehand could be a diverter in the Corsa exhaust.
Did that test this spring on first start up with broom stick up the pipe . sounds funny but keeps metal flapper from flapping around, HAHA!

i see no signs of a lean cylinder so a broken forged piston is not likely,a borescope through the plug hole would be what i would do if i thought it had detonated a piston.mpi engines can and do have injector issues from time to time and if nothing gets done to correct the bad injector bad things can happen.the op said it was still running fine just making noise so i would rule out other problems before i pulled the engine out.edit in,i see no peppering,only carbon build up but without close inspection with a magnifying glass i would not see it anyway.
Ill have a bore scope tomorrow. Co worker has one.

Im searching youtube now for the same noise I have. I dont think im the first person to ever have this noise HAHA.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bb,not being a smart azz but this is not a nitrous deal,jmo.
Yeah I got ya. It's just in the last 2-3 years I've seen more detonated boat motors than in the last 10. There is definately peppering on that plug. Is it from running lean? Hard to tell after the motor has been idled. Wasn't really my thinking. If I'd pinched a ring which usually happens with a forged piston and minor detonation a borescope isn't going to tell you much. There is definate signs of detonation on the plug it's hard to tell from the other plugs cause when you supersize it gets very blury.

To the OP the black speckling on the porcelain is oil the got past the rings from detonation. If you get a high powered magnifying glass and examine the porcelain carefull I bet you will see more black spots and some aluminum shiny spots. Black is oil shiny is aluminum from the piston.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Registered

Deffentley NOT like this . This I would call a thud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aHz4yZoNzA

This is close just louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu2RHsIGBXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk1zX_0mKjg

Also Engine ran fine, no miss, no rough idle, nothing.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:29 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

He has an MPI / ECM controlled engine not the best choice just start yanking plugs wires while engine is running You can do a cylinder drop test with proper scan tool.

I could not see pepper specks on the white insulators of the spark plugs in that one pic. If you do, that is a sign of detonation.

possible Rod bolt ????

Plugs out spin motor by hand - does it feel normal and sound ???

comp test and leak down test or start pulling the heads since the exhaust manifolds are off.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Registered

From ManofWar's thread.

This is what my ticking sounds was before it turned into a knock knock joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FnlFBM5_A

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.