articfriends (10-22-2021)
Old 06-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I hope that was foging oil that shot out of the exaust on start up
Old 06-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My BBC did pretty much the same thing. Had a consistent knock that wasn't able to be pinned down to one cylinder. Torn it down and found a spun and beaten main bearing. Had billet caps fitted and the mains line bored to fix the damage, and obviously a new crank...
Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Registered

Here is an example of a spun rod bearing and the piston slapping the head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx57...ature=youtu.be

End result: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...converter.html
Old 06-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

92nsx,please report your findings on this,a lot of members are watching.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Registered

Is the knock at engine speed? Or at half speed? That's how I ballpark a noise as being in the bottom end or top end. Valve train runs at 1/2 engine speed.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say the knock "speed" is the same as deezy posted. I wish I would have recorded it when I was idling into the dock. I was just pissed that it happened and didnt think of taking out the cell phone
I do have a boar scope in my hand, going to peak inside the spark plug hole and or valves along with pull the oil filter tonight, if time permits.

I have 12 yards of fill to move and pack down for the boat shed before this next 3 days of rain comes in.

Two questions:
Is there a way to check if i have a bad lifter? Or just crank the motor little by little and check for up/down play in the push rod?

Also Im sure its a waste of typing, But in the passed I have just ran conventional 20w-50 in the engine. This year Im runing 20w50, or 25w50 syn blend marine majestic oil. with 1 quart of Lucas oil treatment.
A good fellow buddie has had good luck with it in his 500HP's so I figured i would use it also. What are the odds that the oil may have caused this? I have maybe 45 min of engine run time on this oil change....

Yes: ManOfWar's video was of first spring start up with the motor being fogged down.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Registered

Good luck with the investigation. I tried the spark plug wire removal trick when I was troubleshooting my truck engine but I didn't notice any difference in tone/knock with the plug wire off.

In my limited experience a lifter tick is just that, a tick and they will usually pump back up with a little rpm even if it's ticking at idle. I used to have a vid of that as well but I think it got left on an old phone...
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Good luck with the investigation. I tried the spark plug wire removal trick when I was troubleshooting my truck engine but I didn't notice any difference in tone/knock with the plug wire off.

In my limited experience a lifter tick is just that, a tick and they will usually pump back up with a little rpm even if it's ticking at idle. I used to have a vid of that as well but I think it got left on an old phone...
A buddy of mine had a ticking sound develop after he leaned on it going after a challenge from a local Fountain. It sounded just like a lifter ticking, and we tried various things with the valvetrain trying to solve it. We finally gave up and pulled the motor, and found that one of the con rod bearings had been hammered flat and was squished out of the rod where it was hitting up against a main journal, producing the sound. Surprisingly we didn't really hear a knock - just the ticking. The bearing looked like a penny after you put it on the rail of a train track.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cant recall any rod bearing failures that passed the cyl drop test , sometimes letting them idle in gear with the drive in a tub of water and exhaust going through prop helps. If you have blown the head gasket prior on that 502 yank the freeze plugs out and extract the sand and sediment out before you start taking the engine apart.
if you have a boroscope you may be able to pull the distributor and look for a cooked rod or main cap down past the valley drains and cam.and a wiped cam lobe if your gen5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.