Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2006 Indmar 383 with SPN 66017 code >

2006 Indmar 383 with SPN 66017 code

Notices

2006 Indmar 383 with SPN 66017 code

Old 08-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Original engine serial number was 126805. This was replaced with a reman shortly after purchase because of hydrolock. Reman installed by dealer/Indmar and new serial number (long block) 152286

Edit: should add the fuel pump was replaced at the same time as the batteries.

Last edited by AllDodge; 08-18-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:42 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Before - the train kept a rolling (Aerosmith) here lets ask has this boat / engine / wiring harness had any thing installed that would cause this problem besides the OEM stock set up and systems -

You know the Ghetto Blasters all the stereo BS, 100 speakers, 10 tower speakers and 10 amps installed total of 50 K watts of power, 6 remotes, 500 pounds of batteries, 300 pounds of monster cable these guys throw at their boat ? Sorry man had to ask. Not the first time - I seen it done wrecking havoc on the engine systems and not uncommon either. OK maybe I am going a little overboard but really asking about it ?

hooked up batteries wrong ?

Inverters

wrong size battery cables

spliced into key switch wiring harness or any engine harness ?

Pulling relays with engine power / 12 Volts applied is not the best thing in the world to do for the ignition and electrical component systems. Just saying especially when it comes to ECM / PCM engines

Was the fuel pump change with battery power on ?

Last edited by BUP; 08-18-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered

Boat has two batteries and each with its own switch and isolated except when needing charged by a combiner. Stereo was added by owner

Just got off the phone with the owner and I'm thinking more about a bad ground on the coil side of the relay. This is the Paul Harvey the rest of the story
In July batteries were getting weak, and every so often had issues with a check engine, but managed to keep it going. Made it out to a cove and after sitting for some time the engine would not start and the fuel pump would not turn on. Was towed back to dock.

Replaced batteries and fuel pump figuring he had two issues. Still turn the key and fuel pump did not run. Took it back home, swapped to relays and the pump came on and it would run.

Prior check engine would not come on very often, now it comes on within 20 seconds. With swapping the relay I'm thinking a bad ground or pin connection on the coil. ECM is reading the amount of current being used to hold relay in and with a bad connection the current is reduced due to resistance in the connection. Wires were rang out but not the ground.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:16 PM
BUP
Banned

I hear that as I said in post # 2 last sentence - about ground testing the fuel pump circuit(s) and of course all related grounds.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I hear that as I said in post # 2 last sentence - about ground testing the fuel pump circuit(s) and of course all related grounds.
Agree, wasn't there during the ringing out, will look into it and get back
Old 08-18-2015, 03:07 PM
BUP
Banned

reason for asking these questions plus blind attempting try at fixing these issue(s)

Fuel pump - external engine mounted if so how many fuel pumps 1 or 2

or does this app have 2 fuel pumps installed in the gas tank

Also if ONLY one fuel pump mounted external engine side there can be a second fuel pump circuit for this app as one not being used - it will have or should have a dust cover cap installed over the connector. If so try swapping the connector to plug in to your existing one being used to see if anything changes.

Next what is your fuel pressure readings ?

Next is this app does has external engine side mounted fuel pump (s) pull out the fuel pressure regulator and clean the screen on it.

next is all of that ground and ground circuit testing will have to be done if nothing changes to hopefully find your problem(s)

Last edited by BUP; 08-18-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
reason for asking these questions plus blind attempting try at fixing these issue(s)

Fuel pump - external engine mounted if so how many fuel pumps 1 or 2

or does this app have 2 fuel pumps installed in the gas tank
App has only one pump, according to the manual I found shows in take pump started in 2007. Verified with look at tank

Also if ONLY one fuel pump mounted external engine side there can be a second fuel pump circuit for this app as one not being used - it will have or should have a dust cover cap installed over the connector. If so try swapping the connector to plug in to your existing one being used to see if anything changes.
Will verify next time at the boat

Next what is your fuel pressure readings ?
Did not test do to no engine codes for pressure and engine appears to run. Would also need to pick up a gauge, only have one to test low pressure pumps.

Next is this app does has external engine side mounted fuel pump (s) pull out the fuel pressure regulator and clean the screen on it.

next is all of that ground and ground circuit testing will have to be done if nothing changes to hopefully find your problem(s)
Will do
Old 08-18-2015, 11:27 PM
BUP
Banned

He should not have MEFI 6 in this app as it one external fuel pump and NON catalyst engine - Is this correct about what his app consists of here ?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:12 AM
Registered

Since it didn't have an app with this engine is the reason I sent you the PM. His comment was that this code in the 6 manual was listed as an ECM failure, while 5 manual does not. I'm using the 5 manual
Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM
BUP
Banned

^^^^ I have all the Service manuals but in storage so t will have to say. If I ever get a chance to pull them out but really do not have because I remember most of them very well.

Indmar DTC / fault code for MEFI 6 - SPN - 66017 is the exact same for MEFI 5 - MEFI 5 a & MEFI 5 b

For MEFI 6 this exact same code all means the exact same as MEFI 5.

I have a photographic memory and I remember this 1000% is the exact same code. MEFI 4 does not carry this DTC fauilt code 66017 FYI.

your friend is wrong for MEFI 6 - DTC / fault code 66017 is ECM failure. Again it is the same exact DTC fault code as MEFI 5, 5 a & 5 b as to what is posted in this thread from you and myself. - just saying

Last edited by BUP; 08-19-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.